Jan 31, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
“But all in all, you look at the way we played coming down the stretch, if we get in the postseason – which we only missed by a couple of games even as bad as we played in the first half – if we get in, we were the best team in baseball at the time. I think it was ours to lose, really.”
On the one hand, yes, he’s right. The Nats did look good late. They were finally putting it together and playing up to the potential everyone thought they had. On the other hand, the post season is a best of five and a couple best of sevens in the course of a month. Any number of teams can and do win 11 of 19 games multiple times a season.
That’s why baseball, even with the wild cards and the play-in game, is still the best. The playoffs may be something of a crap shoot, but getting into them isn’t. And as such, talk about how was hot late and who would “be dangerous if they got in” has never carried a lot of water with me.
Earn your right to be dangerous in October by winning more games in April and May.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17