Jan 31, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
“But all in all, you look at the way we played coming down the stretch, if we get in the postseason – which we only missed by a couple of games even as bad as we played in the first half – if we get in, we were the best team in baseball at the time. I think it was ours to lose, really.”
On the one hand, yes, he’s right. The Nats did look good late. They were finally putting it together and playing up to the potential everyone thought they had. On the other hand, the post season is a best of five and a couple best of sevens in the course of a month. Any number of teams can and do win 11 of 19 games multiple times a season.
That’s why baseball, even with the wild cards and the play-in game, is still the best. The playoffs may be something of a crap shoot, but getting into them isn’t. And as such, talk about how was hot late and who would “be dangerous if they got in” has never carried a lot of water with me.
Earn your right to be dangerous in October by winning more games in April and May.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)