Jan 31, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that Astros prospect Mark Appel is recovering well after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on Thursday. Appel should be ready in time for the start of spring training in just over two weeks.
The Astros took Appel first overall in the 2013 draft. In 38 innings split between Tri-City of the New York Penn League and Quad Cities of the Midwest League, Appel posted a 3.79 ERA — not bad for his first taste of professional ball. The 22-year-old has an invitation to spring training with the Astros but isn’t likely to crack the rotation immediately.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)