Jan 31, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that Astros prospect Mark Appel is recovering well after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on Thursday. Appel should be ready in time for the start of spring training in just over two weeks.
The Astros took Appel first overall in the 2013 draft. In 38 innings split between Tri-City of the New York Penn League and Quad Cities of the Midwest League, Appel posted a 3.79 ERA — not bad for his first taste of professional ball. The 22-year-old has an invitation to spring training with the Astros but isn’t likely to crack the rotation immediately.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)