Jan 31, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that Astros prospect Mark Appel is recovering well after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on Thursday. Appel should be ready in time for the start of spring training in just over two weeks.
The Astros took Appel first overall in the 2013 draft. In 38 innings split between Tri-City of the New York Penn League and Quad Cities of the Midwest League, Appel posted a 3.79 ERA — not bad for his first taste of professional ball. The 22-year-old has an invitation to spring training with the Astros but isn’t likely to crack the rotation immediately.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)