Matt Stairs, pounding beers, looking for a Philly TV job

Jan 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT

Matt Stairs AP

You can thank our old friend Halladay’s Biceps for bringing this to our attention. But Matt Stairs — a guy I think everyone loves unconditionally because my God what’s not to love — is up for a Phillies TV gig. The report from Ryan Lawrence:

Stairs, a member of the 2008 world champion Phillies, will interview with Comcast SportsNet for the vacant TV broadcasting job, according to an MLB.com report.

He has done some TV work before and his time on camera as a player suggests a lot of personality.  But Matt, what other qualifications do you have?

Hire. This. Man.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Bring back ‘Ceps just for one day. That would be a riot! What do you say, Craig?

2. jamaicanjasta - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I don’t comment much, but I’ve been here for a while and as vociferously as I argued with Biceps on one of the last threads he commented on (I faintly recall it had something to deal with differences of culture or something like that) I kinda miss the guy; in the “that uncle at Thanksgiving” sort of way.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Maybe we can allow him to post ONLY on Thanksgiving.

• paperlions - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Maybe also allow him on during the All-Star break, so that there may be actual baseball that happened recently to discuss as a kind of mid-season “report” and then also at Easter for “spring training”.

3. RoyHobbs39 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM

“You can thank our old frind Halladay’s Biceps for brining this to our attention.”

I see what you did there Craig. You left out the “e” in frind, the “g” in bringing and the “t” in bicepts.

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Surprised you resisted the “ass hammer” quote

Oh….and because it can not be shown enough…..

• jimw81 - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

joe buck is still deflated making that call.

5. shanabartels - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I die a little inside every time my yoga teacher says “bicepts” and “tricepts” out loud. I didn’t realize until fairly recently that it was such a common mistake.

6. mikhelb - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:59 AM

A very good player during his time in Mexican Pacific winter League with Mayos de Navojoa (a team that two days ago lost the final of this season)… like John Kruk he’s always been regarded as a model player who adapted very well to the all-in type of baseball played in winter ball in México and the caribbean, a different approach to the more-relaxed-because-I-won’t-risk-my-check type of baseball in the MLB (Robinson Canó is a great example of that: hustles playing for the Dominican Republic, with the Yankees had great numbers but he wouldn’t hustle… maybe he will hustle like he did in winter ball now that he has a guaranteed $200+ millions).

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I could be wrong but I believe it’s less about hustle and more about the fact that the MLB schedule is a 162 game grind. Winterball is usually a 60-70 game sprint. Blink and it’s all over.

• anxovies - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Cano doesn’t fail to hustle because he is protecting his body, he is just lazy and doesn’t give a crap. I think he made the move to Seattle not just for the money, but also because he was expected to be the team leader after Jeter retired. He clearly wasn’t up to the extra-curricular activity that was going to take.

7. cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Christ. I just had a crazy thought. Hire ‘Cepts as a guest post writer. Just one. Let him pick a topic and go for it. The comment count would surpass your “Football is Dying” post, I guarantee it.

C’mon, its the off season. We need some thing amusing to do. The sheer spectacle alone would be worth it.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM

If you read his Twitter feed – he is at this moment angling with Craig for a guest column. Different topic though.

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I couldn’t read his twitter feed. Its the same reason I avoid Canseco.

8. zachcomtois - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM

He did post game for the Red Sox for a short while. He was pretty good, too.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM

One thing is for sure. Stairs knows how to win over Philly fans. Hit ball hard. Hit beer harder.

Btw. Hey there bicepts! I know you’re out there. Lurking…

10. padraighansen - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:16 PM

bring him to MKE to work with Ueck and Block…and he can take some of Ueck’s road games.

11. nbjays - Jan 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I guess he’s looking for a summer job. His winter employment has been coaching high school hockey here in Fredericton (his home town).

12. jimw81 - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Here is video of it.

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but it should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4025)