Jan 31, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz, who missed nearly all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, has been clocked at 98 miles per hour in winter ball and told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worh Star Telegram that his arm “is perfect.”
Joe Nathan‘s departure as a free agent opens the door for Feliz to resume closing for the Rangers after he racked up 40 saves in 2010 and 32 saves in 2011. Last season in six September appearances Feliz averaged 93.6 miles per hour with his fastball, compared to 96.3 mph at his pre-surgery peak in 2011.
Tanner Scheppers is another closer option for the Rangers, but if Feliz is healthy and regularly working in the high-90s it’s his job to lose.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45