Jan 31, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz, who missed nearly all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, has been clocked at 98 miles per hour in winter ball and told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worh Star Telegram that his arm “is perfect.”
Joe Nathan‘s departure as a free agent opens the door for Feliz to resume closing for the Rangers after he racked up 40 saves in 2010 and 32 saves in 2011. Last season in six September appearances Feliz averaged 93.6 miles per hour with his fastball, compared to 96.3 mph at his pre-surgery peak in 2011.
Tanner Scheppers is another closer option for the Rangers, but if Feliz is healthy and regularly working in the high-90s it’s his job to lose.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)