Jan 31, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz, who missed nearly all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, has been clocked at 98 miles per hour in winter ball and told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worh Star Telegram that his arm “is perfect.”
Joe Nathan‘s departure as a free agent opens the door for Feliz to resume closing for the Rangers after he racked up 40 saves in 2010 and 32 saves in 2011. Last season in six September appearances Feliz averaged 93.6 miles per hour with his fastball, compared to 96.3 mph at his pre-surgery peak in 2011.
Tanner Scheppers is another closer option for the Rangers, but if Feliz is healthy and regularly working in the high-90s it’s his job to lose.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)