Jan 31, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz, who missed nearly all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, has been clocked at 98 miles per hour in winter ball and told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worh Star Telegram that his arm “is perfect.”
Joe Nathan‘s departure as a free agent opens the door for Feliz to resume closing for the Rangers after he racked up 40 saves in 2010 and 32 saves in 2011. Last season in six September appearances Feliz averaged 93.6 miles per hour with his fastball, compared to 96.3 mph at his pre-surgery peak in 2011.
Tanner Scheppers is another closer option for the Rangers, but if Feliz is healthy and regularly working in the high-90s it’s his job to lose.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86