Jan 31, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Alex Gonzalez looked just about done last season, hitting .177 in 41 games for the Brewers before being released at age 37, but he’ll try to hang on for one more year after signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles.
Milwaukee used Gonzalez mostly as a first baseman, which is pretty silly, but it’s possible that he’s no longer much of a defensive asset as a middle infielder thanks to age and injuries.
He’ll compete for a bench spot with, among others, Alexi Casilla.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)