Jan 31, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Alex Gonzalez looked just about done last season, hitting .177 in 41 games for the Brewers before being released at age 37, but he’ll try to hang on for one more year after signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles.
Milwaukee used Gonzalez mostly as a first baseman, which is pretty silly, but it’s possible that he’s no longer much of a defensive asset as a middle infielder thanks to age and injuries.
He’ll compete for a bench spot with, among others, Alexi Casilla.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (156)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)