Jan 31, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Alex Gonzalez looked just about done last season, hitting .177 in 41 games for the Brewers before being released at age 37, but he’ll try to hang on for one more year after signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles.
Milwaukee used Gonzalez mostly as a first baseman, which is pretty silly, but it’s possible that he’s no longer much of a defensive asset as a middle infielder thanks to age and injuries.
He’ll compete for a bench spot with, among others, Alexi Casilla.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (101)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)