Jan 31, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Prior to the injury Betemit was a solid part-timer who bounced around a lot, hitting .280 with 33 homers and an .804 OPS in 283 games for three different teams from 2010-2012. He’s a switch-hitter with experience all over the infield defensively, although at age 32 he’s mostly just a first baseman and designated hitter option.
Tampa Bay will give him a look as a bench bat or platoon player versus right-handed pitching.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)