Reds sign Roger Bernadina

Jan 31, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

Bernadina216

Veteran outfielder Roger Bernadina has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Reds, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.

Bernadina, who split last season between the Nationals and Phillies, will try to win a bench spot on a spring training invitation.

Muscle Shark had a very nice 2012 season for Washington, but he failed to crack a .700 OPS in 2010, 2011, or 2013 and is a 30-year-old career .239 hitter with a .666 OPS.

1. cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM

The poster child for big muscles ≠ big hitting. Still, if I were that guy, I’d never put my shirt on.

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM

My first thought when I saw the headline was: Is cur gonna get a Red’s jersey?

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:33 PM

If I did, I’d get a Dusty Baker one and give it to my nephew. Then, when he invariably annoys me, I can still shout “DANG YOU, Dusty Baker!”

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I guess it would be too ironic to get a Bernadina shirt.

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I consider my shirtlessness to be a Bernadina jersey.

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM

And not at all creepy…unless you send him selfies.

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Are you saying that was wrong?

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM

No, do it a bunch more times.

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Well, there’s this thing I got from his lawyer. It seems kind of hostile…

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM

He’s totally just playing hard to get. You have to prove yourself as a true fan.

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I’m going to get a Bernadina jersey for the dog. She’s irresistible. He’ll HAVE to like me then.

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Oh, yeah. There’s no better way to get to a man’s heart than with a dog. (Unless he’s one of those weirdo cat dudes that hang around here all the time.)

• cur1968 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Those cat people are gross. They like pie and grody stuff like that. No way Bernadina is anything but a dog dude. He’s clearly a Broder Collie man, too.

• natstowngreg - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Still can’t let go of the whole cake/pie thing, eh?

[Sorry for the interruption.]

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:11 PM

There’s no hope for the semi-cretins around here who insist on cake or pie. Adult desserts are beyond them.

2. metalhead65 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM

good to know the reds can sign people other than infielders that SUCK. once again they sign somebody with 1 decent year in their career hoping for a miracle. you get what you pay for but walt and the reds do not seem to understand that. on the plus side if you have ever played professional baseball you always have shot with the reds. on the negative side you better pray you never get drafted by them because you will never get a shot to play for major league team because you have no experience. the fact you have to play to get experience is a concept that seems foreign to walt and company. no experience is a must so no matter how awful you are you have a chance with the reds if you have experience.

• spudchukar - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Maybe if the Reds fans actually showed up for games they would have some extra cash to spend.

Taking on significant contracts for the Reds at this time would be foolish. Already they won’t be able to retain all of their current stars, who will demand extensions in 2015.

One more sign that the Reds’ management is leery of Hamilton’s ability to handle center field on a regular basis.

3. themuddychicken - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Shark attack!

4. jonrox - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Curls for the girls

5. contraryguy - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Late-inning fielding insurance for Billy Hamilton. Not sure what else the Reds would see here, unless they think he can pull 20 HR over that right field fence.

6. natstowngreg - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Good luck to the Shark. Too bad he just couldn’t harness his talent.

• NatsLady - Jan 31, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Same here. I have a feeling he never completely recovered from the WBC, so maybe he will do better this season. Best of luck, Shark!

7. csmountaineer - Jan 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I think this is a good signing of the reds. He is another low-floor mid-ceiling player that is signed on a minor league contract. its not like they are giving him 3 years and 12 mil.

I wonder if the reds could pursue Josh Willingham. He has 7 mil due this year and is coming off a down year, he is like 35, but he is a power bat (right handed!) one year removed from hitting 35 home runs…. he could probably come on the cheap plus minnesota willing to eat cash. they aren’t expected to win now, and are building for the future

• metalhead65 - Jan 31, 2014 at 4:50 PM

and how have those low floor mid cieling players worked out for the reds so far? you know guys like edgar renteria,willie harriss,wilson valdez,ceaser izturis, and jack hanaran. all have had impressive .220 or lower batting averages and and average at best in the field. this guys and the guy they just signed from the tigers will fit right in. if baker were still there this guy would be the starting centerfielder and leadoff guy because he is fast

• spudchukar - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Like Hamilton?

• metalhead65 - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM

did I miss the part where hamilton was a free agent signing who had played for multiple teams with 1 good year? the only way to see if he is going to be any good is to play and if he sucks he sucks but he will be getting the experience he needs without wasting a ton of money on him to suck like those other players I mentioned. we could go back further and bring corey patterson and willy taveras if you want. I will take hamilton and his potential over the clowns they have signed.

• spudchukar - Feb 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Bernadina is better than Hamilton. Until a player excels in AAA he should stay there.

• spudchukar - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Hey, Tin Top, the Reds just signed another ex-Card, catcher Bryan Anderson.

8. gloccamorra - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:14 PM

He aought to get a shot, if only to move that devilish .666 OPS either higher of lower.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3225)