Jan 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Masset has agreed to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training. He can earn $1.2 million for making the team, with another $800,000 in potential incentives, and Masset has the ability to opt out of the contract if he’s not in the majors by June 30.
Masset had a good four-season run as a strong setup man for the Reds, throwing 285 innings with a 3.32 ERA from 2008-2011, but he’s missed the past two seasons with injuries and is now 31 years old.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27