Jan 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Masset has agreed to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training. He can earn $1.2 million for making the team, with another $800,000 in potential incentives, and Masset has the ability to opt out of the contract if he’s not in the majors by June 30.
Masset had a good four-season run as a strong setup man for the Reds, throwing 285 innings with a 3.32 ERA from 2008-2011, but he’s missed the past two seasons with injuries and is now 31 years old.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (315)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)