Jan 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Masset has agreed to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training. He can earn $1.2 million for making the team, with another $800,000 in potential incentives, and Masset has the ability to opt out of the contract if he’s not in the majors by June 30.
Masset had a good four-season run as a strong setup man for the Reds, throwing 285 innings with a 3.32 ERA from 2008-2011, but he’s missed the past two seasons with injuries and is now 31 years old.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)