Jan 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Masset has agreed to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training. He can earn $1.2 million for making the team, with another $800,000 in potential incentives, and Masset has the ability to opt out of the contract if he’s not in the majors by June 30.
Masset had a good four-season run as a strong setup man for the Reds, throwing 285 innings with a 3.32 ERA from 2008-2011, but he’s missed the past two seasons with injuries and is now 31 years old.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 79
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 39
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 37
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)