Jan 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Masset has agreed to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training. He can earn $1.2 million for making the team, with another $800,000 in potential incentives, and Masset has the ability to opt out of the contract if he’s not in the majors by June 30.
Masset had a good four-season run as a strong setup man for the Reds, throwing 285 innings with a 3.32 ERA from 2008-2011, but he’s missed the past two seasons with injuries and is now 31 years old.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)