Jan 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The Miami Marlins have announced that they’ve signed Reed Johnson to a minor league deal with an invite to big league camp.
Johnson was useful for the Brave early last season but then missed most of the second half with an Achilles’ injury. He ended up hitting .244 with one homer and a .653 OPS in 136 plate appearances. He can still hit lefties a bit and can play all three outfield positions, however, so it’s definitely worth giving him a shot at a bench role or, at the very least, to have in camp all spring.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 17
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)