Jan 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
The Miami Marlins have announced that they’ve signed Reed Johnson to a minor league deal with an invite to big league camp.
Johnson was useful for the Brave early last season but then missed most of the second half with an Achilles’ injury. He ended up hitting .244 with one homer and a .653 OPS in 136 plate appearances. He can still hit lefties a bit and can play all three outfield positions, however, so it’s definitely worth giving him a shot at a bench role or, at the very least, to have in camp all spring.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)