Jan 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The Miami Marlins have announced that they’ve signed Reed Johnson to a minor league deal with an invite to big league camp.
Johnson was useful for the Brave early last season but then missed most of the second half with an Achilles’ injury. He ended up hitting .244 with one homer and a .653 OPS in 136 plate appearances. He can still hit lefties a bit and can play all three outfield positions, however, so it’s definitely worth giving him a shot at a bench role or, at the very least, to have in camp all spring.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (299)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)