Jan 31, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox signed lefty Rich Hill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Homecoming, I guess, as Hill pitched 40 games across three seasons with the Red Sox before going to Cleveland last year. His ERA was a hideous 6.28 ERA but he did strike out 51 batters over 38.2 innings and continues to be murder on lefties. He’ll make $840,000 if he makes the Opening Day roster, with $500,000 more in appearance bonuses possible.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)