The Red Sox sign Rich Hill

Jan 31, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT

Rich Hill Getty Images

The Red Sox signed lefty Rich Hill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Homecoming, I guess, as Hill pitched 40 games across three seasons with the Red Sox before going to Cleveland last year. His ERA was a hideous 6.28 ERA but he did strike out 51 batters over 38.2 innings and continues to be murder on lefties. He’ll make $840,000 if he makes the Opening Day roster, with $500,000 more in appearance bonuses possible.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Just how many chances is this guy gong to get? He’s played in 181 games in 9 years. I know the league is desperate for lefties, but come on. Maybe I should try out. I throw in the low 80s but I have a nasty natural sinker.

2. 13yrsmlbvet - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:37 PM

AKA Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:04 PM

That spelling looked totally wrong, and I was so ready to Google it and embarrass you. Then I found out it’s actually how the name is spelled. I don’t get how you get Duphrane out of Dufresne.

3. sethcohenplayedsomeball - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM

First off, Thank you hardballtalk, long time reader, first time commenter here, you guys do a tremendous job of keeping the hot stove burning for us all winter!

scoutsays- Yeahhhh…I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya…umm…there.,,

Office Space, anyone? Sorry to get all Lumberg there…

Anyways, having played with and against Rich “back in the day” in ball fields around New England, not only is he one of the nicest and most down-to-earth professional athletes you will ever meet(and true athlete he is-could hit a ton and was a state golf champion as well), his stuff was and is flat out nasty…He could throw 90 in high school(when that meant a lot more than it does today-though still extremely impressive today of course-merely noting how far strength training and year-round conditioning has progressed in the past 15-20 years),his breaking stuff was even filthier still believe me, and he made lineups like one of my teams of kids all heading to play D1 ball look simply overmatched. Sufficed to say it was much more pleasurable when we wore the same uniform… He never went near any performance enhancers to the best of my knowledge-just used hard work and natural talent to get to where we all wish we could be today.

Your comment really bothered me enough to have to write in here-and I wonder if you ever played baseball at any level beyond Pony League or so, because if you had you would know that you, I, and anyone else on here commenting isn’t within light years of setting foot on a major league field unless we win a contest or something…Do you know anyone else who started for Lou Pinella in 2007 and won 11 games with a sub 4 ERA, K an inning, and pretty darn good WHIP? The World Champions don’t offer you the chance to make over a million bucks unless you’re pretty frickin’ unbelievable. So please, join me in celebrating the fact that this man has made it a decade in the majors, remember that in the history of the planet probably .0000000001% or so of humanity has accomplished that feat, and lets enjoy the 2014 season, no matter what team you cherish.

Cheers from someone who loves the game, and knows there is no such thing as a “bad” major leaguer, because we would all love to be so “bad”. : )

4. jstottredsoxfan - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:19 AM

sethcohenplayedsomeball —-

You are wrong. Albeit I will never play for the Red Sox (having only played in middle school) because my fastball is in the mid 30’s. However the the DAMN MARLINS keep calling me saying that they need pitching depth… So you are wrong, any man in this country can make an MLB roster it just has to be with the classy Marlins that you play for!!!!!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3094)