Jan 31, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox signed lefty Rich Hill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Homecoming, I guess, as Hill pitched 40 games across three seasons with the Red Sox before going to Cleveland last year. His ERA was a hideous 6.28 ERA but he did strike out 51 batters over 38.2 innings and continues to be murder on lefties. He’ll make $840,000 if he makes the Opening Day roster, with $500,000 more in appearance bonuses possible.
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 24
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)