Jan 31, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The Red Sox signed lefty Rich Hill to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Homecoming, I guess, as Hill pitched 40 games across three seasons with the Red Sox before going to Cleveland last year. His ERA was a hideous 6.28 ERA but he did strike out 51 batters over 38.2 innings and continues to be murder on lefties. He’ll make $840,000 if he makes the Opening Day roster, with $500,000 more in appearance bonuses possible.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)