Jan 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Tigers have avoided arbitration with catcher Alex Avila. The two sides agreed to a one-year deal for 2014 worth $4.15 million. The deal includes a vesting option for 2015 worth $5.4 million with a $200,000 buyout clause. Sherman adds that the option vests if Avila makes the 2014 All-Star team, finishes in the top-15 in AL MVP voting, or wins a Silver Slugger award.
This was Avila’s second year of arbitration eligibility. Avila had filed for $5.35 million while the Tigers filed for $3.75 million. Avila’s actual $4.15 million salary is slightly below the midpoint between the two sides.
Avila posted a .693 OPS in 102 games last season, missing time on the DL in June after getting hit in the arm by a pitch, and in August after suffering a concussion from a collision at home plate. He suffered a strained patellar tendon during Game 5 of the ALCS against the Red Sox when fellow catcher David Ross ran into him at home plate. All in all a tough year for the 27-year-old, who is looking to bounce back with a productive year.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)