Jan 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Tigers have avoided arbitration with catcher Alex Avila. The two sides agreed to a one-year deal for 2014 worth $4.15 million. The deal includes a vesting option for 2015 worth $5.4 million with a $200,000 buyout clause. Sherman adds that the option vests if Avila makes the 2014 All-Star team, finishes in the top-15 in AL MVP voting, or wins a Silver Slugger award.
This was Avila’s second year of arbitration eligibility. Avila had filed for $5.35 million while the Tigers filed for $3.75 million. Avila’s actual $4.15 million salary is slightly below the midpoint between the two sides.
Avila posted a .693 OPS in 102 games last season, missing time on the DL in June after getting hit in the arm by a pitch, and in August after suffering a concussion from a collision at home plate. He suffered a strained patellar tendon during Game 5 of the ALCS against the Red Sox when fellow catcher David Ross ran into him at home plate. All in all a tough year for the 27-year-old, who is looking to bounce back with a productive year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)