Feb 1, 2014, 12:39 PM EST
Ellis requested $4.6 million and was offered $3 million from the Dodgers when arbitration figures were exchanged earlier this month. The two sides settled for $250,000 under the midpoint, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that he’ll have the chance to make up the difference if he reaches bonuses based on games started and plate appearances. The 32-year-old backstop was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter and remains under team control though 2016.
Ellis has compiled a .255/.347/.390 batting line over the past two seasons as the Dodgers’ regular catcher. He has thrown out 37 percent of attempted basestealers during that time.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)