Former NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady is considering giving baseball a try

Feb 1, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Well, here’s something interesting.

Seven-time NBA All-Star and two-time scoring champion Tracy McGrady announced his retirement from the NBA last August after a 16-year playing career, but he’s not done with sports altogether. In fact, he’s apparently considering giving baseball a try.

For what it’s worth, ESPN announcer and former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy said during a broadcast last night that he was hearing the same thing.

While this is a surprising story on the surface, maybe it shouldn’t be. McGrady played baseball in high school and has said that the game was his first love growing up. Of course, his fallback plan worked out pretty well. McGrady is also an investor in a minor league team in Biloxi, Mississippi which is set to debut in 2015.

McGrady, who stands at 6-foot-8, will turn 35 in May. It should be an interesting story to follow at the very least.

1. realitypolice - Feb 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Of course he will become a major league baseball pitcher at age 35 after not having pitched in at least 17 years. Because that’s how easy it is.

• gammagammahey - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Nobody ever said he was trying to be a major leaguer. If he gets to play a season in the Atlantic League and have fun with baseball, that’s a good story and I know I’d go watch the heck out of Sugar Land Skeeters games whenever they came up to play near me.

• realitypolice - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

You’re right. I made that leap myself when I read “eying pro baseball”. I somehow doubt, however, that what McGrady has in mind is riding busses in the Atlantic League.

• jeffbbf - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM

And, of course, the main goal of teams in the Atlantic league is to bring in washed up, older players from other sports who can “have fun” and take innings away from the players the parent team is trying to develop.

• kruegere - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM

He’s been playing sports at an elite level for a long time. I get that its not easy, but I could see it happening. Especially, if he’s clocked at 91 after not throwing for 17 years. Can easily squeak a few mph out of a 6’8 frame with some good coaching.

Hell, it might work in his favor that he hasn’t thrown in 17 years. His arm is still ‘young,’ in baseball terms. It hasn’t seen much of a workload.

I really want this to happen!

• eugenesaxe1 - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Clocking at 91mph, and doing so consistently and with accuracy, are two different beasts.

• gostlcards5 - Feb 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM

You’re right, but I’d love to see TMac be good enough to give it a go, at any pro level. Always have liked him.

2. historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM

There are so, so many unwritten rules for you to learn, old timer.

• cur1968 - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Brian McAnn is hunched by his phone right now, willing it to ring. He’s got so much to say….

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Never gonna get past intentional fouling…

• cur1968 - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

tru dat

3. tfbuckfutter - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Working out with Clemens should shave years off his actual age.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Should I make a tasteless Mindy McCready joke here?

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Not sure where else one would fit.

I am partial to hysterically laughing and mocking someone having a seizure myself.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I was thinking more along the line of making fun of Clemens for messing with her underaged.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Messing around with Roger Clemens while you’re underage results in McKenzie Philips laughing at your seizure.

Now that’s an oddly specific cautionary tale, but I will still pass it along to my children just to be on the safe side.

4. thekingdave - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The Skeeters stadium is minutes away from McGrady’s home in Sweetwater. This is also the team that gave former washouts with ties to the area (Scott Kazmir and Jason Lane) chances, as well as Roger Clemens. Now obviously McGrady isn’t a professional baseball player like the others, but if he can somehow manage not to completely embarrass himself, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a McGrady night or something of that nature.

5. dubblelznhell - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM

That would be awesome. Professionally speaking, if he’s more than half decent he could pitch upwards of 3 to 5 years.

6. sabresfanallday - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Kazmir was a wash for 5 years until last year

7. johnnycantread - Feb 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Since he’s an investor, they will probably let him pitch for Biloxi.
    If only as a way to boost attendance.

8. musketmaniac - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Jordan had a little help in the fact that the bulls owner happened to own the whitesox

9. disgracedfury - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Football and Basketball are more athletic sports than MLB but Baseball like golf is a skill.Bo Jackson was overrated and PrimeTime and Jordan were horrible.For a pitcher it must take years to prepare your arm to picvth 150 innings at 90 mph a year.

10. musketmaniac - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM

what was the results of the guy who won the knuckleball show

11. iftheresahellbelow - Feb 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I would call Bo Jackson questionable, not overrated. Made the All Star game. Never played winter ball to improve his skill set. Career cut short. Who knows? Not even Bo knows that answer. Not a HOF, not overrated, simply not proven one way or the other.

• Reflex - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I just went and looked at Bo and Deion, both were bigger stars than their numbers warranted, but in Bo’s case its a definite “who knows?” He was on an upward trajectory until 91, and was a very solid to above average contributor in 89 and 90, just getting into his prime.

• gostlcards5 - Feb 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Watch the ESPN “30 for 30″ on Bo. I don’t think he was overrated at all. Some of the plays he made in the outfield were spectacular. I think he was actually considered to be better at baseball than football.

12. eugenesaxe1 - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Somebody’s already missing the spotlight. He could probably get a job helping to coach a Little League team though.

13. musketmaniac - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Deon and bo are in a different conversation. neither spent several seasons away from the game.

14. musketmaniac - Feb 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM

wasn’t there an american league pitcher that was a supersonic no. 1 pick.

15. ckhoss29 - Feb 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Nba is the most athletic sport there is, as for football being more athletic than baseball I say not so fast my friend. As I think football takes a lot of athleticism I think baseball takes just as much as not more. Hand eye coordination as well as body control is important in baseball

16. bryco9 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM

To so baseball is as much or more athletic as football is is absolutely laughable. They are about as athletic as golfers or ping pong players.

17. louhudson23 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM

His size and athleticism,plus his velocity could easily make him hard to hit. 60’6″ is only the starting point for guys like him….I would certainly think a reliever would be the natural starting point. He is already a baseball player,so he knows it is an extremely difficult sport. We shall see.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3017)