Picture of the Day: Justin Verlander and Kate Upton “cozying up” at Super Bowl party

Feb 1, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT

GQ magazine threw a Super Bowl party last night. Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander was among those in attendance and the New York Daily News reports that he was “cozying up to” model (and former/current/whatever girlfriend) Kate Upton.

source: Getty Images

Under normal circumstances I might make fun of Verlander’s outfit in that picture, but a) obviously it has worked well enough for him, and b) it’s Saturday night and I’m posting this, so I’ll just shut up.

1. nfieldr - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Wait a minute….. Verlander was in that picture???

2. blynch67 - Feb 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Winning!

• badgerhockey77 - Feb 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Pffff…I used to date her in High School. She’s not all that*)

• jimeejohnson - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I think you’re lying. You got kicked out of high school. Just kidding, bro. Have a great day!

3. jpat2424 - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Lucky bastard

4. @Cereal_22 - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

What a huge geek Verlander is

• aceshigh11 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

No…I’M a huge geek. And I don’t have Kate Upton (or any other woman at the moment) hanging off my arm, as if it needs to be said.

Verlander is a wealthy jock who can bang any hot woman he wants.

Let’s just get real here.

• historiophiliac - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Um, hello. She is a person. She meets a lot of wealthy dudes, I am sure. Do you think she’s having sex with all of them? WTF? Just because you have money doesn’t mean every woman out there is yours.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM

My comment wasn’t about Kate Upton. It was about how having millions of dollars in your bank account greatly increases your access to beautiful women at least a thousandfold, even if you look like a cave troll from LOTR.

Exhibit A: Donald Trump.

That’s hardly a controversial, or novel, concept.

• historiophiliac - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I’m sure Trump has gotten turned down a lot. You should not infer that because some hot women (and non-hot ones) will sleep with ugly men with money that all of them will.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I NEVER came close to inferring that.

I used the words “increases your access”. I can’t believe I have to explain this concept as if it isn’t already familiar to everyone.

• historiophiliac - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“Verlander is a wealthy jock who can bang any hot woman he wants.”

That does not say “increases access” — it says he can have any hot woman he wants. I think you think you said something you did not. You are thinking about your intent instead of what you actually said. Your follow up conveyed a totally different meaning — but, again, access doesn’t mean “can have anyone.” C’mon, nerd it up with specifics and qualifiers, please.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

That was an obvious exaggeration. You’re nitpicking simply because I struck a nerve for some reason and you feel like arguing.

However, you know that the central basis of my argument is 100% true, so you have to resort to picking apart grammar.

• historiophiliac - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM

No, you made a blanket statement that was offensive and untenable — and, hey, and thanks for devaluing my point so as to be dismissive. “For some reason” your insulting statements warrant a response. Look back at what you just said. Do you really think that was objective and correct? Have a nice day.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

How would you know how huge he is? Then again, she is wearing a pretty knowing smile there….

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Well, those pants don’t leave quite enough to the imagination.

5. eagles512 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I like Verlander but wow is that an awful outfit.

6. tn16 - Feb 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM

He also owns a Tiger, what doesn’t this man have
    Plays baseball for a living
    Has a dump load of money
    Has a insanely hot girl
    The man is a God

7. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Ring or no ring, he’s won.

8. nymets4ever - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM

The wrong person is showing too much chest in this pic…….

9. jrs45 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM

She has a thing for guys with no ring lol I don’t see the biggy.

10. eatitfanboy - Feb 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Um…..yeah. She’s not dating him because of his pants, unless that’s where he keeps his wallet.

• Reflex - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

She is independently wealthy herself. She does not need to date someone for their money. She is worth tens of millions on her own, and potentially has more in the bank than he does given that his contract pays out over time.

11. badassleroybrown - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Awesome Pants

12. badassleroybrown - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Kate Uptons looks has a short shelf life
    (See:Pamela Anderson & countless others)

Verlander is a ugly dude & bad dresser, BUT has a lot of money which has a much longer shelf life.

This relationship makes sense…just dont marry or get her Preggo and Verlander will be a winner off the field as well as on ;)

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Pam Anderson had a successful 20+ year acting and modeling career. As for Upton, if she wished to be on the arm of a billionaire Russian ogliarch, or a Silicon Valley tech titan, I’m certain those options are available to her. And as pointed out above, an athlete is not likely to have significantly more money than a supermodel like Upton, its possible he has less than she does. The idea that $66 mil in career earnings to date gains you access to supermodels because of your wallet is silly and ignores the economics of the entertainment industry. If anything he is as likely to be her accessory as she is to be his.

Or, you know, it could just be that they like each other. I know I know, its way easier to just assume that she’s a gold digger or that he is rich and bangs hot models than it is to recognize that they are human beings with normal emotions, morals and feelings.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug