Feb 1, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The move is somewhat curious, as the Royals and Bonifacio avoided arbitration two weeks ago by agreeing to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. However, contracts via arbitration are not fully-guaranteed. At the very least, this move means that the Royals have reached their spending limit this winter.
Bonifacio hit just .243/.295/.331 over 461 plate appearances last season, but he has speed and experience at multiple positions, so he’ll surely find a home somewhere as a bench player. The Royals might be able to find a trade partner in the coming days.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17