Royals designate Emilio Bonifacio for assignment

Feb 1, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

Emilio Bonifacio Getty Getty Images

The Royals officially re-signed veteran left-hander Bruce Chen today and they designated infielder Emilio Bonifacio for assignment in order to make room for him on the 40-man roster.

The move is somewhat curious, as the Royals and Bonifacio avoided arbitration two weeks ago by agreeing to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. However, contracts via arbitration are not fully-guaranteed. At the very least, this move means that the Royals have reached their spending limit this winter.

Bonifacio hit just .243/.295/.331 over 461 plate appearances last season, but he has speed and experience at multiple positions, so he’ll surely find a home somewhere as a bench player. The Royals might be able to find a trade partner in the coming days.

1. pipkin42 - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

The Orioles have been stockpiling no-hit infielders. What’s one more?

If he passes his physical.

• pbastille - Feb 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I would LOVE to see this guy as an Oriole, actually. Dude can steal some bases. I would take him as the starting 2B over anyone else on the roster. Going to take a trade to get him though.

2. giantboy99 - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Hello Yankees

• cackalackyank - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Yeah. I’m with you. He’d have to suck a lot worse to not get a call from Cashman. If he doesn’t then they are working on a trade.

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM

On the plus side, Bonifacio has great speed, is popular in the club house and has played several positions. On the negative side, he is not a very good infielder. He is best used as a fourth outfielder and pinch runner.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Sigh…welcome back to the Feesh, Bonny.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:33 PM

As good a landing spot for him as any.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I’m sure Amanda Knox feels the same way about Rome.

4. sabresfanallday - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Yanks should get him only for pinch running and late game outfield replacement

5. weaselpuppy - Feb 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’d grab him and tell Don Kelly to go sell insurance if I were Dombrowski.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

And then when someone hits your car, what are you going to do to get paid for the damage?

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Y’know, I honestly think Bonifacio is below the DK line. Not far below, but definitely looking up at it with ill-conceived envy.

6. uyf1950 - Feb 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Actually I think he’s a slightly better infielder defensively then outfielder. Although he’s nothing special at most of the spots.

7. bkool37 - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I think this is an odd move. I think he will be on the Royals bench they just need time and possibly through Spring Training to figure out their pitching staff especially the bullpen. Then they can bring him back to the 25 man. To me he could even start over Escobar. So, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t have him on the 25 man in the end. Last year his stats with KC were good just ignore the TOR stats. Also he can play just about anywhere.

8. grnthghs - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Bonifacio is a good player

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2921)