Could the Yankees target Fernando Rodney?

Feb 2, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT

Fernando Rodney Getty Getty Images

Among the interesting bits of rumor fodder in Nick Cafardo’s latest column for the Boston Globe, we have this nugget about free agent reliever Fernando Rodney:

There’s a feeling that a team like the Yankees may pluck Rodney, or someone of his ilk, to ensure they have another closer in case Dave Robertson breaks down or isn’t up to the task.

The Yankees’ bullpen is quite young, led by new 29-year-old closer Robertson. As Cafardo mentions, adding Rodney would give them some peace of mind in the event that something goes wrong in the bullpen. Given their question marks around the infield, it might be a good thing to limit the amount of possible concurrent headaches.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Excellent pick up if the Yanks do this, probably the spot where they have to upgrade I feel. Rotation is set, everyday lineup is set, add another good arm for the pen

2. chacochicken - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Plucking is a terrible idea.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Pluck you.

3. twenty1miles - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM

After years of watching Mo close out games, I don’t think I’d be able to stomach Rodney coming out of the bullpen shooting his arrows.

4. squintspalledorous757 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Is Rodney really a safety blanket though?

Dude had a half decade of atrocious, 4.00+ ERAs then one miracle season then regressed to near mid-3.00s with the same old control problems he always had.

Not much “headache prevention” to be honest.

5. wheels579 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM

That should be “WILL the Yankees target Fernando Rodney?” Unless you’re truly unsure if the Yankees can afford to.

6. elvin2014 - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Watch NOW live online the 2014 Caribbean Baseball Series from Isla Margarita, Venezuela:

7. cackalackyank - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM

I feel like there needs to be something like this. Besides Thornton and Robertson there is not much known for certain about the NYY bullpen this year. Since the L tax threshold is long gone in the rear view mirror might as well take on all the options imaginable.

8. johnnysoda - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, that’s a great idea. A 37 year old closer who’s been mediocre almost his entire career. The Yankees are lucky that they have a bunch of geniuses in the front office.

9. cur'68 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Lord knows I love me some ‘Nando Rodney, goofy arsed sideways hat and all. But DAMN he was hard to watch close out games. His notion of the strike zone was shakier than dirtyharry1971′s grasp of spelling and grammar.

Still, he’s a nice guy and I wish him well . . . unless he’s facing My Boys, of course. Then I want him to be the same guy he’s always been. I hope he goes to the NL where I can root for him in peace and without being all conflicted about it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:27 AM

still thinking about me? hahahhaha you follow me everywhere because you want to be like me, act like me, look as good as me but son it will never happen

• cur'68 - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I knew you’d take the bait. Still embarrassing yourself, eh? Well, whatever. Go bathe. You stink.

10. slaugin - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I am blown away Yankee fans would want this
    Signed
    Red Sox Fans

11. slaugin - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM

2013 vs Bos

62.2 IP 5 ER 6.75 ERA 8 Walks
    He’s good when’s he’s good but when he starts missing the strike zone he unravels on the mound

12. uyf1950 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I don’t see the Yankees paying the price Rodney is asking. Plus just my opinion but I think Rodney is a poor fit for the Yankees. I can see the Yankees taking a flier on a low risk high reward reliever like Hanrahan or Madson. I’d prefer Madson if indeed he’s healthy.

• pisano - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM

uyf1950…. I agree, I think the Yankees should stay away from this guy, it’s a crap shoot with him. As slaugln said, when he unravels, it gets ugly.

13. Charles Gates - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Nothing will so unfittingly punctuate Jeter’s marvelous career like Rodney doing that arrow thing after closing out a save in a meaningless game in September.

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

He might not be good, but at least he acts like a punk

15. richwizl - Feb 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM

He’s got “Yankee” written all over him.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3434)