Feb 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
According to an article on ESPN.com, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told the crowd at Saturday’s annual FanFest in Baltimore that the O’s made a long-term contract offer to slugger Chris Davis earlier this offseason. Davis, a client of super agent Scott Boras, settled for a one-year, $10.35 million contract instead, avoiding arbitration.
Davis will be arbitration-eligible for the third and final time in 2015. He is scheduled to hit the free agent market the winter leading into the 2016 season.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it every day — I love being in Baltimore,” Davis told a group of reporters on Saturday. “This has been a place that’s really felt like a second home to me. Just thinking about Opening Day last year, it’s hard not to fall in love with this city and the fan base. The fans really understand the game of baseball, so I would love to stay here.”
The 27-year-old hit .286/.370/.634 with 53 home runs and 138 RBI in 2013 for the Orioles.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)