Orioles made long-term offer to Chris Davis

Feb 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

chris davis getty Getty Images

According to an article on ESPN.com, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told the crowd at Saturday’s annual FanFest in Baltimore that the O’s made a long-term contract offer to slugger Chris Davis earlier this offseason. Davis, a client of super agent Scott Boras, settled for a one-year, $10.35 million contract instead, avoiding arbitration.

Davis will be arbitration-eligible for the third and final time in 2015. He is scheduled to hit the free agent market the winter leading into the 2016 season.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it every day — I love being in Baltimore,” Davis told a group of reporters on Saturday. “This has been a place that’s really felt like a second home to me. Just thinking about Opening Day last year, it’s hard not to fall in love with this city and the fan base. The fans really understand the game of baseball, so I would love to stay here.”

The 27-year-old hit .286/.370/.634 with 53 home runs and 138 RBI in 2013 for the Orioles.

1. cocheese000 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I think Davis will end up with the yanks. By the time he becomes a FA, jeter, ARod, teixera and sabathia’s contracts will be over or about over. That’s is a lot of free money to spend and I don’t see the os willing to pay him.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Teixeira’s contract runs until the end of the 2016 season. Since there would only be 1 year of contract overlap, it is possible that The Evil Empire will be after Davis.

• cocheese000 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM

He could get close to 60 hrs with that short porch in rf at Yankee stadium

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Well pc we know we can count out the bluejays cause they are busy pinching pennies again

• bigharold - Feb 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM

“.. it is possible that The Evil Empire will be after Davis.”

He puts up the kind of numbers over the next two years as last year it all but certain that the Yankees will be after him. Whether they, or another team, get him is another issue. But, the race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, … but that’s the way to bet.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I doubt if the Feather Lice’s frugality even approaches the way our virtual village illiterate pinches uppercase letters and punctuation marks, though.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Did they though? Also in that article:

“Really?” Davis said. “Did he say anything else? Dang it. Keep me up to speed on that.

“I know they talked at the end of last year, but obviously nothing came to a head. It’s something we’re going to have to wait and see. It’s not my job to worry about that.”

3. onbucky96 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Huh? Davis is a Client of Boras? I thought Satan worked for the other way around.

4. uyf1950 - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM

The Orioles are going to have some serious decisions to make with both Davis and Wieters both are FA’s after the 2015 season and both are represented by Scott Boras. Boras isn’t about to let either player sign for a “hometown” discount and let’s just say O’s ownership over the years has been know to be “frugal” when it comes to their payroll.

5. yordo - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Don’t get crazy with Brady Anderson 2.0

• asimonetti88 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Brady Anderson 2.0? In 15 years, Brady Anderson hit over 20 HRs a total of 3 times. In 6 years, Chris Davis has hit over 20 HRs a total of 3 times. I am not sure I understand the comparison other than both players played for the Orioles.

• cohnjusack - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I also feel something that gets lost is that Brady Anderson was a pretty damn good baseball player. A center fielder with pop, good speed and on base skills is pretty valuable.

6. Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Tried to blindside Scott Boras, did you, Danny? Hahahahahaha. Go do something you’re better at – like, oh, examining x-rays.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I heard the hemorrhoids are flaring up again?

• vivabear - Feb 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Old Doucher – I think it’s safe to say Dan Duquette’s job does not involve reading x-rays and other medical records. If you’re trying to be funny, you’re not.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Hilarious – the two dumbest lowlives on the board trying to double team me. I hate to break this two you, but you both seem twice as stupid when you get together – two negatives making a double negative. I guess it’s too cold in both of your trailers this weekend.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Edit: …to you two.

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

• vivabear - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Old Doucher – again ur stereotyping comes to the forefront with ur trailer house comment. I’m sure u are doubled teamed by men quite often, unfortunately I won’t be able to fulfill your fantasy.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Well, if you’re as physically ugly as you are psychologically, I guess I could at least hope that the top of your head is flat enough so that I could rest my beer on it.

• vivabear - Feb 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Old Doucher – again, please leave me out of ur fantasies. Maybe u shld cruise down to the local bath house and pick urself up a little twink.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM

It wasn’t my fantasy, moron – it was yours. Two posts up. See? You’re the one who went back to the gutter for it, not me – as you obsessively do. Tell you what – I’ll see your “my stereotyping” and raise you your homophobic bigotry. The fact is, I own you, little nobody. I seem to have become your only reason for existing. You can’t control your resentment, you can’t get over all the times I made you look stupid, and you can’t help resorting to the most adolescent name-calling. If you’re not just a virulent little kid, you’re one of the sorriest cases of arrested development on this board. Anyway, it’s not me who makes you look like an idiot over and over. With your hysteria, histrionics and juvenile behavior, you do it to yourself.

To make matters worse, ever since you started hanging out with Poor Dim Harry, your last post, with your Tweeter misspellings, is regressing to his of semiotic incompetence. Maybe stupidity is contagious after all, though it would still be hard to determine where his puerility leaves off and yours begins.

Or do you plan to deny you got caught out on your gutter level homophobia the way you deny I caught you out on your spelling bungles, grammatical and vocabulary misinformation and psychotic refusal to admit that the Cubs were offering Garza to the Feesh for a Tweeter package? If your denial were any deeper, it would cause fracking quakes. Go home and stop skipping your medication, even if it isn’t imported.

• bigharold - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM

“Edit function!”

Sorry OG, in life there are no do overs, .. but it kind of makes it more interesting.

• bigharold - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM

BTW, .. OG, .. perhaps you forgot the notion that one should never argue with an idiot, .. bystanders might not be able to tell the difference.

Leave the bear alone cause, … you can’t fix stupid.

• vivabear - Feb 2, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Old Doucher – u continue to just make things up, it’s pathetic. My guess is all this rage ur spewing in these comments is the aftermath of you wasting money on a gigolo because ur little buddy couldn’t quite answer the bell.

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM

“My guess is …”

Hey Dufess, if you ever had a guess, .. or thought, .. I’m betting it died of loneliness.

If you’ve a point to make than make it, (so far you haven’t). Attacking someone based on some idiotic personal reference doesn’t help your argument, .. it merely underscores the fact that you don’t have a logical argument, .. common sense or reason supporting your assertion.

Clearly you’ve never understood that it’s better to keep ones mouth shut and have folks merely think your stupid as opposed to opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Poor Teddybear. Just go right on pretending all that stuff never happened when there are so many long-timers here who remember it. Playing dumb won’t get you….whoa, did I say playing dumb? It’s too early. I need my coffee….

• nbjays - Feb 3, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Gator, remember the old adage… “Don’t wrestle with a pig. You just get all dirty but the pig loves it.”

• vivabear - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Old Doucher – If u really want, i can rehash some old stuff. The Garza thing….you said that the marlins had a choice of Garza or Zambrano, with the package they gave for Zambrano. That’s simply not true. Anyone with even a little bit of knowledge about the value of baseball players in the trade market could clearly see that. You on the other hand, insist otherwise. This mere fact alone proves you know nothing about baseball.

7. scoobies05 - Feb 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM

i truly hope davis does want to stay. and if he does, he needs to tell boras to make it happen. and if you think davis is “brady 2.0″, you really have no clue

8. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

He’s not going to New York. He’s not going to Texas. He’s not going to LA. He’s staying in Baltimore. Peter Angelos has been looking for a power hitting left handed first baseman for 15 years. He’s not going to let this kid get away. They’ve been saving up for him and Manny. There is no basis for any ridiculous claim otherwise.

• Old Gator - Feb 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM

It would be great if you were right but this is Angelos we’re talking about.

9. scoobies05 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

scoutssay, i hope you are right brother. if davis goes, i may need to find a new team until angelos no longer owns the team…and i have been an o’s fan all my life(and im 44). i am done with his lies

10. thebirdsareback - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Big Gator…please stop trying to sound smart. Its like watching A. Rod try to be honest. It just doesn’t work. By the way, “To, Two, and Too” are TWO totally different words. Please go back to that “Old” grammar school book and learn a little something. As for your knowledge on the game of baseball. Limited. As for your opinion on the game of baseball. IDIOTIC. as for your place on this earth? WASTED

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3496)