Levi’s sponsorship of the Giants reaches really, really far

Feb 3, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT

giants logo sf

San Francisco-based Levi’s has been a sponsor of the San Francisco Giants for a long time. Signs all over AT&T Park and stuff. Pretty standard, I suppose. This, culled from an article about Levi’s renewing its deal with the Giants, is not so standard:

The San Francisco-based brand will also rename the Giants’ casual Friday policy for front office staff, which will become Levi’s Casual Fridays, ‘encouraging employees, including players and coaches, to sport their Levi’s jeans on Fridays’.

“RE-name?” Casual Friday for a few hundred office staff had a proper name before? Apart from “casual Friday?”

If this is the beginning of a new trend, do you suppose I could get the folks at Isotoner to sponsor the workplace fashion policies here at Chez HardballTalk?

1. dodger88 - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM

You’d have better luck going with a sponsor that make bathrobes and fuzzy slippers (all in good fun of course).

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I can’t believe of all the companies out there, Craig picks Isotoner. With these guys, he shoulda gone with Tidy Cat — or what’s the one where the cat eats out of some fancy glass dish? Oh, man, now I miss Morris. :(

• asimonetti88 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Isotoner is based in Ohio

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

So’s Longaberger. haha Baskets of balls from Hardball Talk.

2. modernishfather - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I can just imagine the Giants office staff assembled for their weekly group meeting this morning.

Bill Lumbergh: “Oh, and remember: next Friday… is Levi’s Causal Friday. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a shirt and jeans.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

If that comes with an employee discount, I’d be okay to brand my Friday. Or, I would’ve when I could still get 501’s…

3. Carl Hancock - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Dumb.

4. temporarilyexiled - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM

You’ll get my attention when Victoria’s Secret sponsors Casual Fridays.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

And what will you be wearing from the VS collection?

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Fantastic reply.

• cur'68 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I would wear my Roger Bernadina Jersey.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I hope that’s one of those shirts with the 6-pack abs and muscles drawn on it.

• cur'68 - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM

The washboard, you mean? Well…if you had to do something really delicate…

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

LMAO!

• temporarilyexiled - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM

So many ways I can go here…

“Hopefully, one or more of the VS models.”

“Honey, what would YOU like me to wear?”

“Honey, what would you LIKE me to wear?” (probably better – not so redundant)

And then there’s always the warm and friendly:

“You.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Oh, in that case, I’d like you to wear tape over your mouth so I don’t have to listen to your crap.

• temporarilyexiled - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Which bugged you more, the VS throw-away line or getting more “personal” than you did?

You have to admit, the VS line got a lot of good comments going.

Including yours.

Too bad you can’t take jokes as well as you can dish them out.

• historiophiliac - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM

You were not funny. You were disrespectful and obnoxious. It’s unfortunate that you insist on being that way even when your sexism is pointed out to you. It’s also unfortunate that you did not appreciate that I was nice about calling you on it and correct your behavior in consideration. Instead you decided to double-down on being rude. This is a prime example of the crap women have to put up with in daily life that dudes do not. This post had nothing to do with underwear or sex and yet, you made it into that. You chose to be disrespectful of women — and it isn’t at all clever.

• temporarilyexiled - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Apparently, most of the responders liked my post and didn’t think it was out of line.

Mostly, I was just pointing out the absurdity of it all.

And if I’m willing to come up with that ridiculous premise, you’re right, it’d only be fair if I wore one or more of VS’s finest designs.

Hey, I’d do it…if everyone else had to.

But seeing as it’s more likely I’d be rejected to do a Geritol commercial, let alone asked to do one for VS, it’s probably just as well.

As for the post itself, it’s about corporate sponsorships and dress codes – both of which drive me nuts – let alone combining them.

You’re right, I took your comment as a simple comic comeback – and not as the scolding you’ve now revealed.

Much ado about nothing.

• mrpinkca - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Brings a whole new meaning to “fear the beard.”

• paperlions - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Man, I guess I wish I worked where you do…..because I would NOT want this to happen where I work. In fact, Friday would be come “work at home day” just to preserve my sanity and appetite.

5. crispybasil - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Underwear Fridays at Hardball Talk, sponsored by Cash 4 Gold.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hydroxycut

6. sdelmonte - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

So any employee who doesn’t like wearing jeans is out of luck? (Haven’t cared for jeans in several years, and don’t really go for dressing down for work anyway.)

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

You would not fit in in the tech industry my friend. Every day is casual Friday. People look at me oddly since I started wearing slacks, chinos, collared button up shirts, etc. In fact around here they do an occasional ‘Formal Friday” as our joke on the fact that every day is casual…

• sdelmonte - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Nope, I sure wouldn’t. I like to dress for work as distinct from dressing for the rest of my life. My tie is my uniform. I am a total throwback to the 50s.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I’ve worked in the tech industry and I hate the casual dress. Dress for the success you want, not the success you have.

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Hmm, I seem unable to post a comment, this is a test.

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Ok, the filters here are a bit sensitive. Apparently BS is filterable.

asimonetti88: In my experience, companies with the culture you promote are led by well dressed incompetents. I worked for a company like that briefly, AT&T, and success there was based on who you knew and how you looked. It was not based on merit. Meanwhile by far some of the most driven, talented and successful people I’ve ever worked with come in wearing jeans, t-shirts and sandals. Unless a person works in some form of customer service or client relations, dress codes are pretty silly and more a measure of a corporation attempting to control its employees.

And for the record, were I to ‘dress for the success I want’ at my company I’d be wearing jeans and a shirt. Our CEO dresses that way and he is one of the wealthiest people in the world. Success is not measured by your tie, nor should it be.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Hey, I like to dress up for work. One of the pleasures in visiting DC for work is that I see all these well-dressed guys in ties and jackets (and the ladies dress nicely too). Around here, everyone wears the usual khakis and a golf shirt (usually snug around the beer gut). I like dressing up. I like that I look different for work than I do running around on Saturday (but not like I would for a date either). Being comfortable at work is good and you shouldn’t be bogged down by dress code restrictions, but I really can’t take it when people look like something the cat dragged in. You’re at work, dangit. Plus, I like wearing a dress and pretty shoes.

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

How is “your at work” any different from “your in public”?

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Boy am I glad it was “your” you misspelled instead of “public.”

I go out in public on the weekends without make up or my hair nice and in lounge-y pants. I wouldn’t go to work that way. And, for the most part, I don’t wear dresses on the weekend (sundresses excepted). Plus, I accessorize more for work. ;)

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Its your choice of course, but I see no reason for a typical person not in a customer or client facing role to treat work any different than public. Obviously I see no reason to take issue with them choosing to dress up, but the workplace itself should be about productivity, and if someone feels they are more productive dressing down than dressing up the company would be acting counter to its interests forcing a dress code on them.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

You know what encourages me to wear Levi’s? Free Levi’s.

8. fanofevilempire - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

what if the employees don’t where Levis, do they get fired?
    what if you said casual Friday instead of Levis casual Friday, do you
    get a written warning from Human Resources?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I used to know someone who worked at Pepsi many years back, and apparently they had a policy that if you were caught drinking Coke, you could be fired.

• DJ MC - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I’m imagining “Your Cheating Heart” in the background.

• jwbiii - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Yeah, I think you’re in big trouble if you show up in a pair of Lee jeans. If you don’t like jeans, Levi’s owns Dockers.

9. sophiethegreatdane - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I’d leave a more in-depth comment, but it’s time for my ClearChannel Coffee Break, brought to me by ClearChannel and it’s subsidiaries.

10. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I’d rather have a sponsorship by Jack Daniels

11. clydeserra - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

The ClydeSerra “old spice” response to this is bring it on, smell like a man.

12. DJ MC - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I assume this is more like “Goliath National Bank is the official financial services institution of the New York Knights” then it is true policy. There’s no way they could get away with requiring a “brand” of clothing that they don’t specifically provide.

They can have my half-the-cost-of-Levi’s Wranglers when they pry them off of my cold, dead legs.

13. gammagammahey - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

HardballTalk’s Tighty Whitey Tuesdays brought to you by Hanes.

14. anxovies - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I prefer Wranglers myself. More roomy in the crotch.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

An HBPiD will cure you of that. :)

• bigdicktater - Feb 3, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I don’t think guys are looking for a “cure” for a tight crotch. Wranglers rule, and we just wanna share!

15. mrpinkca - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

What I wonder is how much the naming rights to casual friday within the Giants organization cost Levi’s. All this sort of stuff is negotiated, so presumably the Giants are getting money or some sort of favor for this, and I want to know how much it is worth.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3409)