Mike Moustakas almost has an offseason BINGO

Feb 3, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

Mike Moustakas AP

We already heard that Mike Moustakas has lost weight and may be in the Best Shape of His Life. Now we hear that he’s been working on his swing, trying to learn to take the ball the other way. Use that third base/left field side.

Good for him! Hope he improves because a productive Mike Moustakas would go a long way toward helping the Royals improve on their 86-win season and a contending Royals team would probably be pretty fun. Sort of like Pittsburgh last season. I sorta want to see that.

But it’s also possible that this is just your standard offseason cliche. Getting in shape. Working on my swing. If we see a story about him working with some respected former major leaguer or having offseason workouts with some other player on another team, we will have pretty much filled Moustakas’ offseason hitters BINGO card.

Pitchers BINGO cards have “working on my changeup” and “working on my arm slot” to go with BSHOL, by the way.

1. jfk69 - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

ARod has been a tremendous help in certain areas. I feel blessed for all his help. Did I mention.. The best shape of my life.

2. kcrobert10 - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM

World series baby world series……

3. nymets4ever - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Good to see geeky snark never takes a snow day.

4. chacochicken - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Did he mention anything about 9/11 being an inside job?

5. blingslade - Feb 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Honestly, Moose better be taking his swing seriously. This year is his last chance to produce before he gets traded or benched for good.

6. andreweac - Feb 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM

He’s taking it one day at a time, preparing to turn the page on a tough day.

7. nymets4ever - Feb 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Funny how Craig has all the praise, excuses, and benefit of the doubt in the world for pill-popping cheating scumbags, while having nothing but geeky cynical snark for players who actually try to improve their game the right way. Backwards much?

• Alex K - Feb 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

You think the “pill-popping cheating scumbags” weren’t trying to improve their games the same way? What do you think they were doing? Taking the drugs and sitting by the pool all winter?

The snark is because we hear this stuff about different players every year and it doesn’t mean a thing most of the time. A lot of guys are in the “best shape of their life” or “fixed their swing mechanics” and came back the next year and looked the same and performed the same.

• paperlions - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Wait, so all that work on his approach didn’t result in Franceour walking more?

Are you sure? I’d check the stats, but facts are for geeks, I’m just going to assume that it worked because he said so.

• nymets4ever - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Um, regardless of whatever clean measures (swing tinkering, new exercise routines, extra BP) the steroid guys took in addition to taking steroids, the difference is that those guys also…did steroids. Whereas Moustakas is taking ONLY the clean measures.

The point (because you completely missed it) is that, if anything, geeky keyboard warriors like Craig should save their ridicule for players who cheat, not for innocent bystanders like Moustakas who strive to be the best they can be the right way (i.e., the way that doesn’t involve popping pills and pushing needles like a scumbag).

• zzalapski - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM

And you know Moustakas is clean…how? Are you his personal assistant?

• Alex K - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I got your point. There was never any doubt about what you meant.

Like zzalapski said before, you have no idea if Moustakas is clean. It’s not like anybody has ever given an offseason interview and said, “I’m just going through my doping cycles, and working out everyday to be the best I can be.” I’m not accusing Moustakas of rule breaking, but I’m also not going to be surprised if anyone is caught.

The big takeaway here is that you moralize PED users and think they are “scumbags”. I wonder if you feel the same way about Willie Mays. He used amphetamines. Or are amphetamines not “scumbag” drugs?

8. uwsptke - Feb 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM

The BINGO card must also include LASIK or some sort of other vision correction procedure. These stories are always accompanied by how the player will now be able to see the ball more clearly than ever before (because they must have also been using the wrong prescription lenses prior to this).

• vivabear - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I get where you’re coming from, but when you are talking about seeing the seams of a pitched baseball there can be a difference between wearing corrective contact lenses and having LASIK to restore you to 20/20 vision (or better). For some people, contacts don’t quite produce the same sharpness as corrective lenses. Contacts can slide on your eye too.

9. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I’d also like to see something about how he had a nagging injury all season (maybe a wrist, or a thumb) that he didn’t publicize, but now it’s healed and it won’t hold him back anymore.

10. ottomaddux - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I feel sorry for the guys who never took PEDs, but because they were playing at the time when PEDs were everywhere, they somehow get linked and will more than likely be under suspicion which might cause some writers not to vote in players to the HOF like Jim Thome who simply played in that era. And if you search on the net, he’s not as big as his dad, and he’s got two sisters who are HUGE.

Many other players in that era besides him who were clean, but will always have the dark cloud of suspicion strictly for playing in that era.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5576)