Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl last night, so he has definitely earned a vacation. His vacation destination: Surprise, Arizona and Rangers training camp:
Super Bowl champ (and infielder) Russell Wilson still plans to appear at @Rangers spring training, per his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 3, 2014
I guess whether this is truly a vacation for Wilson depends on what “appear” means. As a minor league Rule 5 draft pick of the Rangers, he has every right to suit up and compete for a job. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
Of course, he also gave it up then and didn’t play in 2012 or 2013 because, you know, the day job. Figure on a nice photo op in Rangers gear sometime later this month, however. Then he can take a real vacation.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)