Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl last night, so he has definitely earned a vacation. His vacation destination: Surprise, Arizona and Rangers training camp:
Super Bowl champ (and infielder) Russell Wilson still plans to appear at @Rangers spring training, per his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 3, 2014
I guess whether this is truly a vacation for Wilson depends on what “appear” means. As a minor league Rule 5 draft pick of the Rangers, he has every right to suit up and compete for a job. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
Of course, he also gave it up then and didn’t play in 2012 or 2013 because, you know, the day job. Figure on a nice photo op in Rangers gear sometime later this month, however. Then he can take a real vacation.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)