Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl last night, so he has definitely earned a vacation. His vacation destination: Surprise, Arizona and Rangers training camp:
Super Bowl champ (and infielder) Russell Wilson still plans to appear at @Rangers spring training, per his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 3, 2014
I guess whether this is truly a vacation for Wilson depends on what “appear” means. As a minor league Rule 5 draft pick of the Rangers, he has every right to suit up and compete for a job. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
Of course, he also gave it up then and didn’t play in 2012 or 2013 because, you know, the day job. Figure on a nice photo op in Rangers gear sometime later this month, however. Then he can take a real vacation.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)