Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl last night, so he has definitely earned a vacation. His vacation destination: Surprise, Arizona and Rangers training camp:
Super Bowl champ (and infielder) Russell Wilson still plans to appear at @Rangers spring training, per his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 3, 2014
I guess whether this is truly a vacation for Wilson depends on what “appear” means. As a minor league Rule 5 draft pick of the Rangers, he has every right to suit up and compete for a job. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
Of course, he also gave it up then and didn’t play in 2012 or 2013 because, you know, the day job. Figure on a nice photo op in Rangers gear sometime later this month, however. Then he can take a real vacation.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)