The Astros sign Jerome Williams

Feb 3, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

Game. Changer.

Or not. I dunno. This is the slowest day of the offseason yet, so I’m reaching for anything.

Williams was non-tendered by the Angels in December after posting a 4.57 ERA and 107/55 K/BB ratio over 169 1/3 innings over 25 starts and 12 relief appearances last season. The 32-year-old had a 4.58 ERA in 15 starts and 17 relief appearances in 2012.

That’s useful on a 106-loss team, I suppose.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM

another guy the jays let slip threw their fingers, even with their budget they could have afforded this guy

• doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Out of morbid curiosity, what is your utter fascination with the blue jays

It’s not funny, and honestly a little disturbing. Are you stalking R.A. Dickey?

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I have a fan club on here and they wait every single day for me to comment, if I don’t they would have nothing to live for. They especially enjoy when I comment on the bluejays for some reason, to be honest I didn’t think they had more then 2 or 3 fans but I was wrong about that. They have 8 fans and about 5 of them are here. As for stalking someone please, I have a life and most of it is spent hanging out with the ladies

• dylanthom2013 - Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Lol @ “dirtyharry” bragging about what a stud he is. The typical act of a loser who brags about himself in an anonymous forum because his claims can’t be verified.

Everyone knows sports forums attract the bottom-of-the-barrel males like you, the kind of pathetic undersocialized ugly tiny-dicked unemployable piece of dogsh_t who couldn’t get laid if an unconscious hooker fell on you. You’re so obvious. You brag about being a stud when in reality you’re just an old pathetic useless waste of resources geezer with no friends or family who has been totally rejected by society. It wasn’t for computers and sports forums which are obviously your only outlet, you’d be out on the street doing your hilariously crazed foaming-at-the-mouth raving about the Blue Jays while begging for change. You’d be just one more bum on the news getting the shi_ kicked out of him on the street by people who have nothing but contempt for your kind.

But yeah, you’re actually such a stud you need to brag about it in anonymous sports forum LOL. That’s hilarious. If you stick your head in an oven and turn the gas on, I bet you can see your future in there.

2. El Bravo - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

The fantasy leagues are opening up so that’s good news right? WOOO!

3. stex52 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

In what is surely another transition year, I think a mediocre pitcher who can eat 170 innings without burning down the ballpark most of the time will be useful. After all, a 4.5 ERA is what loosely qualifies under the definition of “quality start.” (Three runs, six innings).

• happytwinsfan - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

“transition year”. i hope i’m not using that term before at least late july.

• jeffa43 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I don’t think he has a chance to do anything besides long relief…

He won’t be a innings eater, he has no chance to start. Let’s say Appel starts out in AA, AAA…

Olberholtzer, Peacock, Cosart, and Feldman will be the top 4. The most wins in the minors was David (daw-veed). His teammate Foltyanevich was rediculous good in AAA last year, sits at 100 mph, and will be in spring training with a chance to make the team to start the season.

Throw Appel in the mix, and many say Rondon will go straight to the big club. McCullers has a shot as well, although most likely to start in AA.

If anything he will be an emergency plan, as we proved last year we don’t need the lowly halos scraps. If halos don’t want him, he has no chance in Houston. Those 2 clubs are flying in opposite directions and fast.

• stex52 - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:58 AM

With luck you are right, Jeff. But one or two minor injuries can translate to a lot of work for a swing man. I think the flexibility is surely what Luhnow is going for.

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Hi Craig! Yesterday was slower than today. Even unclean Harold watched the Super Bore. There are still some unsigned free agents out there who must be getting antsy as Pitchers and catchers report very soon.

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

As further proof that football is in decline, the TV ratings were down this year.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I watched almost 5 minutes of it, but that might not have been while they were measuring ratings.

• jarathen - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

it also provided a terrible product (two weeks ago was a much better game), so there’s that.

6. jarathen - Feb 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

He’s a real stand-up guy who can eat innings and hold up the back end of the rotation. I’m surprised he wound up with a team that I imagine is more about bringing u young talent, but he’s not without value, limited though it may be.

7. einjzmolf - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Whoa, I thought the Rangers signed him. Looks like that talk a month ago never fell through.

Three legends off to Cooperstown