A’s sign Sam Fuld

Feb 4, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

Sam Fuld Getty Getty Images

After three seasons in Tampa Bay cult hero/backup outfielder Sam Fuld is headed to Oakland, with Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reporting that he’s agreed to a minor-league deal with the A’s.

Fuld is extremely fast and very good defensively, but he’s hit just .234 with six homers and a .643 OPS in 366 career games. According to Rosenthal his contract would be worth $800,000 in upfront money if he makes the Opening Day roster, plus another $100,000 in potential incentives.

Oakland, like Tampa Bay, is an analytics-friendly organization that tends to value defense and versatility, so Fuld probably has a decent chance of making the team on a spring training invite.

1. APBA Guy - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I can’t imagine what the big ballpark is going to do to Sam’s SLG. Actually, I can imagine. But I can also imagine that Oakland needs a 5th outfielder, because unfortunately there are times when both Reddick and Crisp will be down.

• raysfan1 - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

With a .314 OBP and .331 SLG for his career, the SLG won’t really drop much.

However, he’s a speedy guy who goes all out all the time. He was well loved in the Tampa Bay Area, and I bet he will be in Oakland too.

• scatterbrian - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

At this point, Fuld is no better than 5th on the OF depth chart. If everyone’s healthy, I don’t think Fuld has much of a shot making the Opening Day roster. But this signing (thankfully) bumps Taylor down a rung.

2. billybawl - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

He’s also a LOOGY with a mid to high 80s fastball. The A’s are continuing to identify and exploit market inefficiencies.

3. broncostevenp - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM

He is such a classy guy. I will miss him and wish him nothing but the best.

4. willgrant11 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Sam Fuld is an awesome player and great human being. I remember when he hit .400 for two months in the spring two years ago. I wish the Rays had kept him and traded Jennings, Rodriguez, or Joyce.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline