Feb 4, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Frank Wren secures franchise face. Freddie Freeman @ 8 years, $135M.
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) February 5, 2014
That’s the richest contract in franchise history (averaging $16.875 million annually) and could keep Freeman in a Braves uniform through the 2021 season. It buys out all three of his arbitration years (2014-2016) and five years of free agency (2017-2021). The 24-year-old first baseman batted .319/.396/.501 with 23 home runs and 109 RBI in 147 games last summer for Atlanta, earning a fifth-place finish in the National League MVP vote.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)