Feb 4, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Frank Wren secures franchise face. Freddie Freeman @ 8 years, $135M.
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) February 5, 2014
That’s the richest contract in franchise history (averaging $16.875 million annually) and could keep Freeman in a Braves uniform through the 2021 season. It buys out all three of his arbitration years (2014-2016) and five years of free agency (2017-2021). The 24-year-old first baseman batted .319/.396/.501 with 23 home runs and 109 RBI in 147 games last summer for Atlanta, earning a fifth-place finish in the National League MVP vote.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11