Feb 4, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Frank Wren secures franchise face. Freddie Freeman @ 8 years, $135M.
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) February 5, 2014
That’s the richest contract in franchise history (averaging $16.875 million annually) and could keep Freeman in a Braves uniform through the 2021 season. It buys out all three of his arbitration years (2014-2016) and five years of free agency (2017-2021). The 24-year-old first baseman batted .319/.396/.501 with 23 home runs and 109 RBI in 147 games last summer for Atlanta, earning a fifth-place finish in the National League MVP vote.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)