Feb 4, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Frank Wren secures franchise face. Freddie Freeman @ 8 years, $135M.
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) February 5, 2014
That’s the richest contract in franchise history (averaging $16.875 million annually) and could keep Freeman in a Braves uniform through the 2021 season. It buys out all three of his arbitration years (2014-2016) and five years of free agency (2017-2021). The 24-year-old first baseman batted .319/.396/.501 with 23 home runs and 109 RBI in 147 games last summer for Atlanta, earning a fifth-place finish in the National League MVP vote.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)