Feb 4, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Baseball-wise Joba Chamberlain is looking for a fresh start after leaving the Yankees for the Tigers as a free agent, but more importantly Jason Beck of MLB.com writes that the 28-year-old right-hander is now free to fully express himself with facial hair:
Gone is the mustache he donned during the end of his tenure in the Yankees bullpen. Now, he has a beard, as so many former Yankees have done. Add a pair of glasses, and Chamberlain took to Michigan for the Tigers’ Winter Caravan with almost a hipster kind of look.
“You know, it’s the first year of my life [that I can],” he said with a smile at TigerFest. “College, couldn’t have any facial hair, and obviously in New York you can’t. I could have a mustache, but mustaches aren’t that cool. I’m not Tom Selleck. I tried the best I could, but it just didn’t work for me.
Chamberlain also explained: “I wear the glasses because I feel like I look smarter and I’m too lazy to put my contacts in.”
Beck reports that Chamberlain has dropped 15-20 pounds, too, but let’s focus on the important stuff for now.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11