Feb 4, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Baker is coming off a very productive season as a part-timer for the Rangers and has experience all over the field defensively, but a two-year contract is surprising for a 33-year-old who’s bounced around a ton and generally been available pretty cheaply.
Baker has played for six different teams in the past five seasons and failed to crack a .700 OPS in 2011 and 2012 before hitting .279 with 11 homers and a .905 OPS in 175 plate appearances for the Rangers last year.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 4
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 67
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)