Feb 4, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Baker is coming off a very productive season as a part-timer for the Rangers and has experience all over the field defensively, but a two-year contract is surprising for a 33-year-old who’s bounced around a ton and generally been available pretty cheaply.
Baker has played for six different teams in the past five seasons and failed to crack a .700 OPS in 2011 and 2012 before hitting .279 with 11 homers and a .905 OPS in 175 plate appearances for the Rangers last year.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)