Feb 4, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Baker is coming off a very productive season as a part-timer for the Rangers and has experience all over the field defensively, but a two-year contract is surprising for a 33-year-old who’s bounced around a ton and generally been available pretty cheaply.
Baker has played for six different teams in the past five seasons and failed to crack a .700 OPS in 2011 and 2012 before hitting .279 with 11 homers and a .905 OPS in 175 plate appearances for the Rangers last year.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)