UPDATE: The Braves and Freddie Freeman reach a multi-year deal

Feb 4, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

UPDATE II: It’s sounding like it could be a big extension. Multiple years, nine figures. Pretty bold for the Braves.

UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that a deal has been reached. Terms not yet disclosed.

1:16 PM: Jason Heyward. Freddie Freeman. Phillip Tattaglia. Moe Greene. Stracci. Cuneo. Today the Braves settled all family business:

In the Heyward post I mentioned how it was odd that the Braves reached deals with him given their “file and trial” policy. Since then the team explained that their no-negotiation stance doesn’t apply to mutli-year deals, just one-year deals to avoid arbitration. Which, whatever, if that makes them happy OK, but most negotiations don’t work so cleanly.

1. porkypig44 - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The policy has never changed. Just because you didn’t have a clue what the policy entailed don’t now act like they are changing their policy since you didn’t understand it. Donkey

• helengreese - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

$85 an hour! Seriously I don’t know why more people haven’t tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And what’s awesome is I’m working from home so I get more time with my kids. Heres where I went… FUND25.COM

2. El Bravo - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Cool story, broseph.

• El Bravo - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Update: Cooler story, mang

Update II: Sweet narrative, bro.

3. jamaicanjasta - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Don’t be afraid Carlo… On point, I made a speculation about this a little bit ago on the previous thread but didn’t think they’d move forward so quickly

4. jamaicanjasta - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Per Mark Bowman:

The #Braves are close to reaching a multi-year agreement w/ Freeman. Still a few more things to iron out before it is complete— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) February 4, 2014

5. gmagic9044 - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM

One report with “sources” says it could be as high as 8yr/$120+MM.

Definitely bold for the Braves. New face of the franchise.

• jamaicanjasta - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM

That’s probably around what Heyward (the yearly average) would get if he’s extended past the just signed two year deal; in his case I think he was reluctant to sign any thing more than 2 years and from the Braves perspective I think they’re waiting for the Uggla contract to expire.

• cohnjusack - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

That would be almost identical to the extension Albert Pujols signed going into his age 24 season, almost 10 years ago to the day (Pujols was Feb 20th, 2004 and was 7 yr, $100 million with $16 option. So, 8/$116 v 8yr/$120).

Keeping in mind that 1). Albert’s was a decade ago, 2). The Cardinals still ended up getting the deal of the century on that one, the Freeman deal seems like a fine enough deal.

6. zeedoubleyou - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Good deal for the Braves. It seems like a lot of money until you think about how much free agent power hitters command.

7. cohnjusack - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Oh, the ways this contact could go…

Most similiar players through age 23
    1. Eddie Murray
    2. Jason Thompson

8. bravojawja - Feb 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Not too long ago I’d’ve said 8/125 isn’t the Braves’ style. But then last offseason happened.

And then Chipper tweeted this: Oh my! @FreddieFreeman5 got broke off! Can ur new chauffeur get a lil bit? Jk bruh, u deserve it! Dinner tmrw night. Ur treat???

There is no precise translation, but it sounds like Freeman is about to make a lot of money.

9. foreverchipper10 - Feb 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I am hearing 8 years and 125 million. For a young player who has improved every year I really like this move. It is much, much better than the deal they gave BJ Upton.

10. uyf1950 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

It’s a great deal for the Braves IF Freeman stays HEALTHY and productive. Otherwise for a team who in the past has liked to keep their payroll in the $90MM range Freeman could eat up about 17% of it should the numbers that are being mentioned be close (8 yrs / $125MM).

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3404)