Feb 4, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
UPDATE II: It’s sounding like it could be a big extension. Multiple years, nine figures. Pretty bold for the Braves.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that a deal has been reached. Terms not yet disclosed.
Freddie Freeman and Braves close to announcing a multiyear contract extension, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 4, 2014
In the Heyward post I mentioned how it was odd that the Braves reached deals with him given their “file and trial” policy. Since then the team explained that their no-negotiation stance doesn’t apply to mutli-year deals, just one-year deals to avoid arbitration. Which, whatever, if that makes them happy OK, but most negotiations don’t work so cleanly.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)