Feb 4, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
UPDATE II: It’s sounding like it could be a big extension. Multiple years, nine figures. Pretty bold for the Braves.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that a deal has been reached. Terms not yet disclosed.
Freddie Freeman and Braves close to announcing a multiyear contract extension, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 4, 2014
In the Heyward post I mentioned how it was odd that the Braves reached deals with him given their “file and trial” policy. Since then the team explained that their no-negotiation stance doesn’t apply to mutli-year deals, just one-year deals to avoid arbitration. Which, whatever, if that makes them happy OK, but most negotiations don’t work so cleanly.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)