Feb 4, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
UPDATE II: It’s sounding like it could be a big extension. Multiple years, nine figures. Pretty bold for the Braves.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that a deal has been reached. Terms not yet disclosed.
Freddie Freeman and Braves close to announcing a multiyear contract extension, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 4, 2014
In the Heyward post I mentioned how it was odd that the Braves reached deals with him given their “file and trial” policy. Since then the team explained that their no-negotiation stance doesn’t apply to mutli-year deals, just one-year deals to avoid arbitration. Which, whatever, if that makes them happy OK, but most negotiations don’t work so cleanly.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 95
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)