Feb 4, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: Or maybe not. Someone is wrong:
— Kristie Ackert (@AckertNYDN) February 4, 2014
2:53 PM: WFAN host Mike Francesa said on his show this afternoon that the Mets have made an offer to free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew. Francesa says that the sides are negotiating over years now, so it’s obviously not done, but there is an offer on the table. Earlier this winter the Mets were said to be averse to anything beyond two years for Drew.
This comes less than a week after Sandy Alderson said that the Mets were “unlikely” to sign Drew. Though, really, he would be a fantastic upgrade for them. Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI in 124 games.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)