Wanna rent Barry Zito’s house?

Feb 4, 2014, 5:46 AM EDT

If you do, you’re in luck! And it’ll only set you back $28,500 a month in rent:

Set high atop a private bluff, the Tuscan-style spread known as “Villa Della Pace” has four bedrooms, seven bathrooms, indoor-outdoor living spaces and a guest house. Inside, high-end finishes run throughout the home and range from teak-framed doors to walnut and limestone flooring to a grand foyer with vaulted ceilings.

Leading away from the athlete’s home, a private terrace opens onto a serene, backyard setting complete with marble-lined courtyards, various patios, a fireplace, a hot tub and a swimming pool overlooking Phoenix Lake and the rolling green hills of Mt. Tamaplais.

Much like its owner, the house costs a lot more than it’s worth. Zito has been trying to sell it for a couple of years now, originally listing it at $11.5 million and slowly dropping the price, only to find no takers. Now he’s renting it out. Sure, it’s big, but get 20-30 people to go in together, move in some bunk beds and it could be a totally rad group home. Maybe for your post-college crew.

source:

1. fnc111 - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Id eff a chick in that pool.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Pass!

3. Old Gator - Feb 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Make that $285 a month for the guest house and maybe….

4. stex52 - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Hard to beat those Marin county views. Pretty nice place. I’m not the biggest fan of that internal adobe look with external beams, but there’s lots of natural light and looks like a great kitchen.

Keep us posted, Craig. When it gets down $2000 a month I’ll strike.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Yeah, it is wonderful up in the Mt. Tam area. Great weather. Beautiful views. Great hiking trails. The magnificent redwood groves. The scent of eucalyptus on the air. And the Monarch butterfly migrations in the spring and fall, when everything is covered with pulsing red and orange butterflies….just don’t eat the newts.

• stex52 - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I’ve never felt motivated to live in northern California (cost of living, mostly), but I have a sister out there and I sure do like to visit. Not many places are prettier in the good old US of A.

5. stex52 - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Down to $2000 a month. Not down by $2000 a month.

• jeffa43 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM

You nailed it Stex … I live in so cal by the beach, and most call this heaven… When I get time off, I bee line it to the redwoods up North… Can’t get enough of it…

Still owe you wings n beer for the 3rd 100 loss season…

• stex52 - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Let’s just hope I don’t collect on this season. I’m starting to think they may get into the 90’s.

6. temporarilyexiled - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

You’ll notice it’s big…but not THAT big. Real estate in that neck of the woods can go for >$1K / sq. ft.

7. big64d - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I bet Zito perfected the hanging curve ball in that back yard. Thats got to be worth something.

8. pbastille - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM

7 bathrooms and only 4 bedrooms? Do rich people have to go to the potty more frequently than us normal folks?

9. bigdicktater - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM

It was originally built for a trucker. We have to pee every time we stand up.

• bigdicktater - Feb 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Anyone giving this comment a ‘thumbs down’ needs to know that without truckers you wouldn’t have any good-looking children.

10. tonyz6060chevy - Feb 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM

You had me at 7 Bathrooms !

11. missingdiz - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

It looks great and it’s a wonderful area. But I’m thinking they get the Big One during a rainy winter and it’s a pile of rubble at the bottom of a new cliff.

12. APBA Guy - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, I love this place. But for that money, you either want to be in the city around Pacific Heights or in Napa with more land. $ 10M+ in Marin is sort of betwixt and between. Also, it’s a long way to the airport, which turns off the out of town money. This place would actually be perfect for some major rockers, but Metallica already have nice places, and nobody new around SF has that kind of cash.

• stex52 - Feb 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Isn’t Carlos Santana out that way? Of course, I imagine he already has his own place.

13. joser1149 - Feb 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM

“Much like its owner, the house costs a lot more than it’s worth.” Wow Craig, I happen to think the 2012 ‘World Series was worth quite a bit. The Giants belly-up’ed to the contract, why rag on Zito? Wouldn’t you of signed up if offered?

14. mvp43 - Feb 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

What a dive……

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3012)