Curt Schilling diagnosed with cancer

Feb 5, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Curt Schilling AP

Former major league All-Star Curt Schilling revealed Wednesday that he has been diagnosed with cancer.

“I’ve always believed life is about embracing the gifts and rising up to meet the challenges,” the 47-year-old said in a statement. “We’ve been presented with another challenge, as I’ve recently been diagnosed with cancer. Shonda and I want to send a sincere thank you and our appreciation to those who have called and sent prayers, and we ask that if you are so inclined, to keep the Schilling family in your prayers.”

Through an ESPN spokesman, Schilling declined to say what type of cancer he’s battling.

Schilling won 216 games, was a three-time Cy Young runner up and won three world championships before retiring at the age of 40 in 2007. He’s been eligible for the Hall of Fame the last two years, receiving 39 percent of the vote in 2013 and 29 percent on this year’s overstuffed ballot. Since retirement, he made news by starting a video game company that later went bankrupt, leading to a lawsuit against him by the state of Rhode Island. He’s recently done studio work for ESPN on Baseball Tonight, and he had been slated to join the network’s broadcast booth for Sunday Night Baseball this season.

1. tmhofficial - Feb 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Goodness, that’s scary. Hopefully he caught it early enough to make a quick and full recovery.

Get well soon Curt.

• karlkolchak - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Take it from me, there is pretty much no such thing as a “quick and full” recovery from chemotherapy and other cancer treatments. I’m going on 14 months, and am just beginning to get my life back.

• approvenothing - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Best of luck to you, Karl! Hope you have as speedy as a recovery as possible.

• karlkolchak - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Thanks, approvenothing! It’s day by day, as they say. :)

• aceinthehole12 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Hope you start feeling better man.

• Kevin S. - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM

No, but if it’s caught early enough and is of the type that doesn’t require chemo, it can greatly lessen the ordeal.

• cofran2004 - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Who is the dick thumb downing these statements?

• mmeyer3387 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM

As a baseball fan, Curt has given me many years of enjoyment watching him play. Additionally, to this very day I still like to listen to his views on the game. That being said, I hope and pray for the best for Curt and his family.

P.S. My heart goes out to everyone and their families that are dealing with this terrible disease.

2. Reflex - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM

What kind of cancer? Anyone know?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Reflex, without that crucial piece of info, this really is a somewhat meaningless post. It clearly is bad news to have any kind of cancer, but such diagnoses range from the absolutely deadly to the simply extremely annoying. I had kind of the latter kind. The surgery was painful (when I woke up) and my leg will never be fully whole again, but no chemo or other bad things were needed.
      And as to “curing cancer”, some do already have cures, but there are many kinds so nothing will work for all.

• Reflex - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM

“PS, now for the bad news: Our toxic (and getting worse) environment and countless food additives will likely produce ever more cancers in coming decades.”

While this is commonly believed the inverse is really true. The environment today, which encompasses the air and water we consume down to the surfaces we now know to use sanitation practices with, is considerably better than it was a century ago. The additives we use in food actually increase health by preserving food and in the process decreasing our instances of food borne illnesses. Very little has been linked in any substantial way to cancer.

That said, the sure fire way to get cancer is to live longer, and that is something we have done quite effectively over the past century. Many cancers dramatically increase their prevalence with age, such as colon and breast cancer. The average lifespan for a male in the US in 1900 was 46.3, as of now it is 82. When you nearly double lifespan you will see a corresponding rise in diseases, and the ‘rare’ will become the common. Age related dementia is another such rising disease.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Reflex, indeed, everything in our food is pure and wholesome. This is from CBS news tonight:
        Subway confirmed on Thursday that they were removing a chemical used to make yoga mats and rubber soles on shoes from their sandwich bread. Australia and Europe have banned azodicarbonamide over health concerns. Subway does not use it in their bread recipes in those countries. The Center for Science in the Public Interest pointed out that azodicarbonamide has been used to strengthen dough, and forms semicarbazide and urethane when it is baked. Semicarbazide has been linked to lung and blood cancers in mice, and urethane has been known to cause cancer in rodents as well.
        And you can wash it down with some yummy West Virginian tap water. Mmmm, good.

3. karlkolchak - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Geez…just when I thought I would NEVER have anything in common with Curt Schilling, he gets diagnosed with cancer at EXACTLY the same age as I did. Now I’m a one year survivor, but nevertheless it really sucks.

I wish him the best of luck as he now has a very hard road ahead of him.

4. phillysports1 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM

No one knows what type of cancer , but his wife Shonda was diagnosed with stage-2 melanoma back in 2001 .

5. hojo20 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Another Phillie who got cancer early, and played at the Vet. Something must’ve been in that astroturf.

• mick2014 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Kruk,Daulton & now Schilling..Dykstra would have been the most likely to get it since he chewed tobacco.

• blingslade - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM

..and Tug McGraw chewed as well.

6. a11013cp - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Reblogged this on A11013 on Club Penguin/others.

7. southpaw2k - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Jiminy Christmas, will somebody PLEASE just *BLEEP*ing cure cancer already?

• karlkolchak - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I doubt they will ever develop a surefire “cure,” but the advancements in cancer TREATMENTS in the past 20 years have been remarkable. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which back in the 1990s was almost a certain death sentence. Nowadays, with all of the recent advancements someone like me at least has a fighting chance.

• fearlessleader - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Karl, my father’s been free of pancreatic cancer for 12 years now, and he has plans to stick around for many more. Good luck to you. (And to Curt.)

• karlkolchak - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM

fearless: That’s awesome! Best to your dad.

• southpaw2k - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Dude, way to give cancer the big double middle finger. Glad you were able to make a full recovery.

8. dkphilly1122 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM

As someone who been thru that battle, I feel for you Curt, mine was at 21 years old Colon……you’re in my thoughts!!!! You’ll pull thru it!!!!

9. baseballlifestyle101 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Reblogged this on Baseball Lifestyle101 and commented:
    Curt Schilling diagnosed with cancer

10. aceshigh11 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Best of luck to him.

Hope the comments section stays positive. This is no time to get nasty.

11. doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM

God dude, that sucks.

Sure Curt is eight kinds of crazy, but you never wish cancer on anybody.

12. penguins87and71 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM

My prayers are with him and his family.

13. losangelesfan - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM

In the words of Vin Scully

“Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day (pause). Aren’t we all?”

Go get ‘em Curt!

14. Jonny 5 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Well at first I think “holy crap another Phillie from that era diagnosed with cancer, something is not right.” Then I look at the actual data and find out something interesting. Until more than 20-25% of that team in that age group is diagnosed then it’s not really abnormal. I could have read the data wrong so correct me if you will. One thing is certain though, about 41% of the population will be diagnosed in their lifetime. It doesn’t appear to me that the Vet can be blamed just yet.

• Reflex - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Yeah, I read that elsewhere a while back. People are just noticing the Vet players while not noticing that players on other teams also get cancer. Its selection and confirmation bias at work.

15. Mark Armour - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Get well soon, Curt. (Did not reblog this anywhere.)

16. cur'68 - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Can’t say as I care for Schilling all that much. Still, I hope he does well. Good luck to him.

17. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The cynic in me assumes he’s having a mole removed and is presenting it this way to earn his public image some sympathy.

Aside from thinking he’s a douche, I still wish him no ill will so even though that’d be a crummy PR move, I’ll root for it to be something minor like that.

18. jmmsr1 - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Never one of my favorite players…but this really sucks! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well soon dude so I can curse at you again.

19. jmmsr1 - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Never one of my favorite players but this really sucks. My thoughts and prayers are with you dude – get well soon so I can curse at you again.

20. rickditka - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I hope he lives a long life.

You know, he could have waged his fight against cancer without making headlines.

21. johnnycantread - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I am a BoSox hater, but this isn’t about baseball.
    I pray that Schilling can defeat cancer.

22. kraa0901 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Prayers are with you, Curt. Fight the good fight!

23. markofapro - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Get well, Curt!

24. mtr75 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Always got a good laugh out of watching this massive hypocrite blame the government for his company going under.

25. happytwinsfan - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM

in 2003 i was hanging with my dad in the hospital. he had terminal stomach cancer. the d backs were playing the giants on one of those cheesy little crts over the patient bed. both bonds and schilling were still near their respective amazing peaks but not totally at their peaks. still, everybody was still pitching around barry if the game was close. schillling, being what he was for better and worst, had publicly proclaimed that not only wasn’t he going to pitch around barry, he was gonna throw barry nothing but fastballs. the first two times he struck barry out. the third time, barry bounced it off the right field wall. the fourth time, schilling worked in some breaking balls.

hey curt, if you need to don’t be too proud to throw the breaking ball. we’ll understand. thanks for the memory.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS