Matt Diaz announces his retirement

Feb 5, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Matt Diaz running

Matt Diaz has announced — on his own blog — that he’s retiring:

I’m moving on in my life from playing baseball.  Notice, I didn’t say, I was done with baseball!  How could anyone who loves the game ever “be done.”  And certainly I love the game!  I love the way it taught me to fail and get over it.  I love the way it helped me become the man I am today.  I love the way it’s provided for me and my family.  There’s so much to love about this game.  I just don’t love playing it anymore, and that’s how I know it’s time to not pursue a job playing this year.

Diaz hit .290/.338/.429 in 11 years with the Devil Rays, Royals, Braves, Pirates and Marlins. He was mostly a bench/platoon guy, though he happened to have his best season as a major leaguer in the year he got the most playing time. That came in 2009 when he hit .313./.390/.488 with 13 homers and 58 RBI in 425 plate appearances for the Braves.

Not a bad little career. One that, in five years time, should see him inducted into the Hall of Pretty Good Lefty Mashers.

1. twenty1miles - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Good tidings, Diaz.

• bfunk1978 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM

If that’s how I sound I will never heckle another professional athlete again.

• realitypolice - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Good. Because only losers heckle professional athletes. At least this guy was kind of funny and not profane.

• bfunk1978 - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I only did it once, to Ryan Braun right after he got out of his initial failed test. I got bored after 2 innings.

2. musketmaniac - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM

bumb

• realitypolice - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM

How would you pronounce that word?

3. mdpickles - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

The same Matt Diaz who is Charlie Manuel’s neighbor?

• realitypolice - Feb 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I love the way the announcers say they only showed the replay so you could see the “play” by Matt Diaz.

4. mtr75 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Look at that OPS, for a lefty platoon guy who played with 7 teams, it’s the highest ever! This man belongs in the HOF!!!

5. ochospantalones - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Inductees into the Hall of Pretty Good Lefty Mashers receive a case of beer with a picture of Matt Stairs on it.

6. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM

My wife and I went to college with a girl who said she was his wife.

We looked it up recently, and the name of his wife is different than the name we both remember the woman we barely knew having. Also the pictures of her look much much different too.

But she talked about him all the time. I think she might have been nutty.

Either way, that is all I have to offer this conversation.

7. thepittsburghkid - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I always liked him but he was horrible while he was here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4189)