Feb 5, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have signed right-handed reliever Evan Meek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. And outfielder Jack Cust got the same deal, reports Roch Kubatko at MASN.
Meek will try to revitalize his major league career with the O’s after spending the last two seasons battling shoulder issues. The 30-year-old will be fighting for a middle relief job this spring in camp.
Cust, 35, did not play MLB-affiliated ball in 2013 and spent the entire 2012 season at Triple-A. He batted just .213/.344/.329 in 270 plate appearances with the Mariners in 2011 and will be a longshot to make the Opening Day roster this year in Baltimore.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)