Orioles sign relief pitcher Evan Meek and outfielder Jack Cust to minor league contracts

Feb 5, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

orioles logo

According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have signed right-handed reliever Evan Meek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. And outfielder Jack Cust got the same deal, reports Roch Kubatko at MASN.

Meek will try to revitalize his major league career with the O’s after spending the last two seasons battling shoulder issues. The 30-year-old will be fighting for a middle relief job this spring in camp.

Cust, 35, did not play MLB-affiliated ball in 2013 and spent the entire 2012 season at Triple-A. He batted just .213/.344/.329 in 270 plate appearances with the Mariners in 2011 and will be a longshot to make the Opening Day roster this year in Baltimore.

1. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Two questions….

How is Jack Cust not in his 50s by now?

And why is he not an Astro?

• tuberippin - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM

“And why is he not an Astro?”

Chris Carter is the Jack Cust of the Houston Astros.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Baltimore has loosened their purse strings!

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM

why don’t you recap Toronto’s big off season so far? yea not much

• proudlycanadian - Feb 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM

The Yankees lost their best player and their second best player was suspended for the season.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM

2nd best player was suspended? Please!! Yanks are fielding a much better team this year and it pisses you off just admit the truth. And while you are admitting the truth admit your starting rotation is better suited for the NL West. I cant wait to see the jays get smoked again this year, may the beatings begin!!

3. penguins87and71 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Evan Meek is still in baseball?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:11 PM

71 is a great hockey player; however, I prefer 87.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

and you really should stick with hockey cause you know zero about baseball

• proudlycanadian - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The long list of topics topics that Harold knows zero about includes personal hygiene.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM

And you can tell this how exactly thru a message board and without seeing me? Yea that pretty much says it all about you

4. johnnycantread - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM

This is Cust’s second go ’round with the Birds.
    I hope it works out better than the last time.

5. roarfrom384 - Feb 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM

This makes me so proud to be an Orioles fan.

6. rockthered1286 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Too much focus on finding a “diamond in the rough.”

It’s just rocks. Crappy old rocks.

7. rockthered1286 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I think every O’s game should open with either “Thrift Shop” or “I don’t want no scrubs.”

Or “Jesus take the wheel.”

• psuorioles - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Thrift Shop is the perfect song for the O’s… In no way do I want them to be the top spender in FA, but to not sign anyone to truly help the MLB team is disgusting…

8. jpalughi823 - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

fml, why do i even bother??

9. theeperspective - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM

As an Orioles fan, it is amazing to me that they do not want to give pitchers more than 2-3 years. They have checked out both Jimenez and Santana. Those players would cost a 1st round draft pick as well. How would you not give more years? Their argument is: “So we aren’t on the hook with a lengthy contract.” In other words, so they don’t get screwed in the future. However, you would be willing to give up a 1st round pick, which directly relates to said future, and then only sign for 2-3 years? So in 3 years that player hits the market and you lose a draft pick at the same time? It’s crazy. How can you be willing to sign a 35-37 year old player to 3 years, but not sign a player 29-31 years old to a longer contract? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the O’s offseason… yet. We still have time to grab a band-aid like Burnett or Arroyo to bridge the gap in our rotation. However, something like that needs to get done. I say my prayers every night before bed. After I cover the important things in life, I always mention that it would be nice if the Orioles strike gold with at least 2 pitchers in their farm system. Bundy, Gausman, or Rodriguez. The O’s have the offense to do some damage, but if they get some pitching, they could be dangerous. It’s a huge “if,” but I believe you can only miss on prospect pitching so many times before you finally get the one. (Or hopefully 2 in this case)…(Or 3). I’ll keep praying.

• syphermce - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:54 AM

The reason they don’t go after Jimenez or Santana is they are not worth a 1st round pick along with their asking price at the moment. Which is why they are still on the market right now, if their price dropped to the point where it would make sense, they would do it. There is a reason why it took so long for Kyle Lohse to sign last offseason, and the same goes for Jimenez and Santana this offseason.
      As for Burnett, he only just recently decided that he wanted to continue pitching instead of retiring, so they may still get him. Arroyo, I think, is going to be the guy they sign out of them all. He wants to pitch on the east coast and the last reports I heard is it was down to the Dodgers, Orioles and another west coast team.
      As for Bundy and Gausman, they both need some seasoning first and Bundy might not even be back until mid-season. Don’t expect much out of them this year.

• theeperspective - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I’m talking about length of contracts. If we did sign one of these guys for a 3-4 year deal… What would the point be? I’m sure you can come up with some reasons, but if you say to decrease risk then your business model is assuming failure more than it would assume success. That’s not a good business model, I don’t care who you are.

I am not expecting much out of Bundy, but if you watched Gausman at the end of last year, you had to notice some serious development in his change up. That’s the pitch he was really lacking. With that said, I do expect something from him. Oriole fans, such as myself, have always been saying: “It’s probably not this year, wait until next year or 2 years from now.” If these guys are as special as we think, they shouldn’t be long term projects. I expect results this year. If that isn’t the mindset, again… You’re setting yourself up to fail.

By the way, apparently Gausman has put on 10-15 lbs of muscle. I like the sound of that.

• psuorioles - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM

By the time Bundy, Guasman or Rodriguez hit their stride, the O’s core will likely be gone. If anyone thinks they are going to pay Davis and Weiters are crazy…

• theeperspective - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I’m no genius, and based on the recent history of the O’s, its obvious they don’t like spending big money for free agents. However, I think there is a chance that the O’s are saving their money to sign some of these guys long term. Maybe I’m just being optimistic, but the Orioles tend to keep the players they develop… We’ll see.

10. penguins87and71 - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

If I were an Orioles fan I would be ticked at management. In my opinion if the Orioles went out and got decent starting pitching they would be contenders to win the World Series.

11. gerryb323 - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Yes, but have they passed their physicals?

12. dowhatifeellike - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I smell another minor league championship!

I got chest pains just typing that.

13. nymets4ever - Feb 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Jack Cust…hahah

14. thebirdsareback - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM

When Ravens training camp start again? can i get a combine? maybe a NFL Draft. Angelos has no intentions of winning, unless its luck like 2 years ago when we broke a record for most 1 run wins! Seriously this is unbelievable (not that unbelievable actually lol) they havent tried to spark some enthusiasm into this fanbase and team while the ravens are off sitting on an 8-8 record. Its just depressing. I think DD needs to move on so we can get a GM that forces this guy to spend some money. We are in the AL East are we not?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto