Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Nope, not a Korean company as many speculated. The naming rights are sold to Globe Life Insurance Company. So get used to people referring to Rangers home games taking place “at the Globe.”
6: 11 AM: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the more boringly-named stadiums in baseball. Boring is nice, of course. It’s worked fine for the Yankees and Dodgers for years. But it’s certainly not the norm anymore, especially for newer parks like the one the Rangers call home. And, starting this season, it won’t be the case for the Rangers either. They’re going to announce a naming rights partner today.
What will the park be called? The Dallas Morning News has an idea:
According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.
I assume there is a big company in Korea named after the most common family name in Korea: Park. But I also assume that we’re not lucky enough to have something so awesome as Park Park. Which is a shame, really.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)