Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 AM EST
UPDATE: Nope, not a Korean company as many speculated. The naming rights are sold to Globe Life Insurance Company. So get used to people referring to Rangers home games taking place “at the Globe.”
6: 11 AM: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the more boringly-named stadiums in baseball. Boring is nice, of course. It’s worked fine for the Yankees and Dodgers for years. But it’s certainly not the norm anymore, especially for newer parks like the one the Rangers call home. And, starting this season, it won’t be the case for the Rangers either. They’re going to announce a naming rights partner today.
What will the park be called? The Dallas Morning News has an idea:
According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.
I assume there is a big company in Korea named after the most common family name in Korea: Park. But I also assume that we’re not lucky enough to have something so awesome as Park Park. Which is a shame, really.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)