Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Nope, not a Korean company as many speculated. The naming rights are sold to Globe Life Insurance Company. So get used to people referring to Rangers home games taking place “at the Globe.”
6: 11 AM: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the more boringly-named stadiums in baseball. Boring is nice, of course. It’s worked fine for the Yankees and Dodgers for years. But it’s certainly not the norm anymore, especially for newer parks like the one the Rangers call home. And, starting this season, it won’t be the case for the Rangers either. They’re going to announce a naming rights partner today.
What will the park be called? The Dallas Morning News has an idea:
According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.
I assume there is a big company in Korea named after the most common family name in Korea: Park. But I also assume that we’re not lucky enough to have something so awesome as Park Park. Which is a shame, really.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)