Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Nope, not a Korean company as many speculated. The naming rights are sold to Globe Life Insurance Company. So get used to people referring to Rangers home games taking place “at the Globe.”
6: 11 AM: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the more boringly-named stadiums in baseball. Boring is nice, of course. It’s worked fine for the Yankees and Dodgers for years. But it’s certainly not the norm anymore, especially for newer parks like the one the Rangers call home. And, starting this season, it won’t be the case for the Rangers either. They’re going to announce a naming rights partner today.
What will the park be called? The Dallas Morning News has an idea:
According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.
I assume there is a big company in Korea named after the most common family name in Korea: Park. But I also assume that we’re not lucky enough to have something so awesome as Park Park. Which is a shame, really.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)