Feb 5, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The Indians announced today that they’ve signed Bryan LaHair to a Minor League Contract with a non-roster invitation to Major League spring training camp.
LaHair was an All-Star after a nice first half with the Cubs in 2012. He played in Japan last year. He has a career batting mark of .260 with 26 doubles, 21HR and 56RBI in 195 games and an OPS of .764OPS.
He has a good track record as a pinch hitter and can handle righties pretty well, but he still seems like a long shot to get a big league job this season.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)