Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals have signed right-hander Pat Neshek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Neshek, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 29/15 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over 45 relief appearances with the Athletics last season. The sidearmer elected free agency after being outrighted off the 40-man roster in November.
The Cardinals already have a pretty talented group of relievers in place, so Neshek will likely need things to go his way in order to make the Opening Day roster, but he’s nice depth to have around.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)