Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals have signed right-hander Pat Neshek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Neshek, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 29/15 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over 45 relief appearances with the Athletics last season. The sidearmer elected free agency after being outrighted off the 40-man roster in November.
The Cardinals already have a pretty talented group of relievers in place, so Neshek will likely need things to go his way in order to make the Opening Day roster, but he’s nice depth to have around.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)