Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals have signed right-hander Pat Neshek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Neshek, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 29/15 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over 45 relief appearances with the Athletics last season. The sidearmer elected free agency after being outrighted off the 40-man roster in November.
The Cardinals already have a pretty talented group of relievers in place, so Neshek will likely need things to go his way in order to make the Opening Day roster, but he’s nice depth to have around.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)