Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals have signed right-hander Pat Neshek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Neshek, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 29/15 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over 45 relief appearances with the Athletics last season. The sidearmer elected free agency after being outrighted off the 40-man roster in November.
The Cardinals already have a pretty talented group of relievers in place, so Neshek will likely need things to go his way in order to make the Opening Day roster, but he’s nice depth to have around.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)