Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals have signed right-hander Pat Neshek to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Neshek, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 29/15 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over 45 relief appearances with the Athletics last season. The sidearmer elected free agency after being outrighted off the 40-man roster in November.
The Cardinals already have a pretty talented group of relievers in place, so Neshek will likely need things to go his way in order to make the Opening Day roster, but he’s nice depth to have around.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)