Feb 6, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Barney is one of the worst-hitting regulars in baseball, batting just .208 with seven homers and a .569 OPS last season and .246 with a .628 OPS for his career, but the Cubs love his defense at second base.
This could be a make-or-break year for him in Chicago, because $2.3 million is a sizable jump in salary for a first-year arbitration eligible player and it’s tough to imagine the Cubs wanting to pay for another big jump in 2015 unless he shows some semblance of improvement offensively.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)