Orioles and Matt Wieters agree to one-year, $7.7 million deal to avoid arbitration

Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT

Matt Wieters AP AP

The Orioles and catcher Matt Wieters have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $7.7 million contract, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.

Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.

1. salsashark2004 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Good deal. I’d love to see him sign a long term extension but I just can’t bring myself to think the O’s should give him the money that Boras is no doubt going to ask for. I imagine he’ll be traded at some point in 2015 unless the O’s make a serious run for the World Series.

• beachnbaseball - Feb 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

“I imagine he’ll be traded at some point in 2015 unless the O’s make a serious run for the World Series.”

So it’s settled then. He’ll be traded.

• thebirdsareback - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM

• beachnbaseball - Feb 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

“thebirdsareback – Feb 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM
        You’re really funny, But obviously know nothing about baseball. To say the Orioles arnt staffed to make a run is nonsense. Please take a look at batters 1-7 of the line-up and tell me they cant be competitive. All you’ll be doing is confirming how stupid you are. but that was a real knee slapper”

Listen up, slappy. The Orioles will trade him because Angelos will not want to pay him what Boras will be seeking for him. As for Orioles making a run for the WS, take a look at their pitching, or lack thereof, and get back to me.

2. theeperspective - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Good thing they worked it out. Arbitration can get ugly between the two sides.

Side note: I hate Scott Boris.

• ptfu - Feb 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I’m sure you do, Mr. Angelos.

3. cocheese000 - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I remember about a year ago some dumb orioles fan was trying to tell me wieters is better than posey

4. grwilliams1971 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM

He will get their he just a lazy ball player right now.

• jmbic - Feb 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Where do you get lazy from? Wieters is a good ballplayer who just can’t hit RHP worth a damn. Plays great D and crushes LHP. He’s clearly among the more valuable catchers in the game, though I guess you could say he’s been a disappointment with the bat.

• thebirdsareback - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM

You’d think being born in 1971 you’d know a little about baseball. idiot

5. annapterp - Feb 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Hopefully he’ll have a good year and the O’s can trade him for some top prospects in July when they are out of contention. If they still have a shot at the playoffs, they still need to trade him because he’s not signing a long term deal before he hits free agency.

6. thebirdsareback - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I just hope they trade him to the NL so we dont have to deal with him in a Yankees Uni. Weiters is a serious ball player, it really upsets me that he’s got Boras as an agent. These ball players have no allegiance to the squads that gave them a chance. Its such a shame. Miss me some Cal, Brooksie, Palmer…ugh…

Orioles turn AL East on its head