Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.
Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 4
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 45
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)