Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.
Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)