Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.
Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)