Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.
Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)