Feb 6, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Wieters requested $8.75 million and was offered $6.5 million from the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for just above the midpoint. Many have speculated about his future in Baltimore, as he is represented by Scott Boras and has the ability to test free agency after 2015. While nothing came of trade speculation this offseason, we’ll likely hear plenty of rumors again next winter.
Wieters, who turns 28 in May, batted .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs and 79 RBI over 148 games last season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 57
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)