Pitchers and catchers report today

Feb 6, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT

Sunrise Cactus

Not all of them, of course. Just the Diamondbacks. They report today and hold their first workout tomorrow. The Dodgers report on Saturday.

This is amazingly early, of course, because the Diamondbacks and Dodgers open their regular season in Australia on March 22. That’s more than a week before everyone else, thus necessitating the early report. Everyone else reports between February 11th and 16th. All reporting dates can be seen here.

This is a wonderful harbinger of spring. It’s also one of the more anticlimactic things around. We wait for it all winter, then it happens and … it’s still cold where most of us are. And at best we get some pictures of guys playing long toss and running.

Personally I don’t feel like spring has really started until there are spring training games, but if this sort of thing helps you stay warm, more power to you.

1. NYTolstoy - Feb 6, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Well Craig I live in Cali now and mostly it is sunny and warm at least until night fall..Besides I’ve been ready for spring training since…let me see, oh yes November 1st!

2. jarathen - Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM

It is ten degrees below zero and it’s been colder than hell since October. If my calculations are correct, it appears that baseball itself brings warmth, and the vacuum created by its absence is the very foundation of cold weather.

• sabatimus - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Especially when the baseball hits 88 miles per hour.

• happytwinsfan - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

yep, the absence of countervailing pressure allows for the southward drift of the polar vortex

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Polar vortex? Did you say polar vortex? OMG, that makes you part of the atheistic Islamic socialist liberal left-handed God-hating plot to turn all of our children into gay pedophiles. Or at least, that’s what someone said on the radio.

3. stex52 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Our long national nightmare is over.

4. primetimewr9 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM

The early Australia game is messing with my fantasy baseball leagues!

• stex52 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

No kidding. They are having that draft way too early. I haven’t started working on it yet.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Messing with YOU? How about all the players who have to practice for it by standing on their heads?

5. josemartez - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I’m definitely excited things are starting to start, but yeah, totally anticlimactic. And really, I don’t get all that excited about the spring training games themselves, just the fact that it’s a sign that the real thing is coming. Once the season starts I’ll be pretty jazzed.

6. dlf9 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I don’t think much of his recent writing — too much of the grumpy old man for my tastes – but back in the day, one of my favorite writers was Tom Boswell. One of the collections of his writings about the game during the Earl Weaver era was titled “Time Begins on Opening Day.” I tend to think there are only two seasons: baseball season and the void. Pitchers and catchers reporting means we are just that much closer to joy.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Mike Celizic, who was the regular sports feature columnist on the NBC News homepage before his untimely death a few years ago, used to write an annual first day of spring training column that was pure poetry and served as the invocation for the new season, in both senses. It would be fun to locate a few of those and re-post them as a series here – both to honor Mike and for everyone’s general pleasure and edification.

How about that, Craigster?

7. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I can see it now, Mark Buehrle is doing his first bullpen and the pitching coach has the radar gun on him and he is seeing numbers like 77, 78 for his fastball and he yells to Mark “Enough change up’s, lets see the heater” and Mark says “that was the heat”. HAHAHAHHAHA I would be giggling like a school girl if I was there to see that exchange!!

• spudchukar - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Knowing you Harry, I would be nervous if I were that school girl.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM

She won’t remember it until a nightmare wakes her screaming when she’s around 40 years old.

Anyway, our Virtual Village Idiot giggles like a schoolgirl every time he types the some old crap on his keyboard. He’s his own best audience. In fact, he’s his only audience.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Actually you don’t know me and to even suggest what you and old gasser are suggesting make the two of you pretty sick

• spudchukar - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM

You are correct. I don’t know you. All I know about you are your comments. And they lead me to believe that what I wrote is accurate.

Looks like you bit too.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Awwww, who woulda guessed that our virtual village idiot was so sensitive? Sorry, lamebrain – you’re just reaping what you’ve sown here. You’re the last one qualified to whine about it.

8. sportsdrenched - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

When you have as much grit as the D-Backs do, you just HAVE to report to camp a week earlier than everyone else.

And I agree, it’s not really spring training until there’s exhibition games going on. Because; crappy, weird, and meaningless baseball is still better than zero baseball.

• gerryb323 - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Cubs fans think this in August as well…

• sportsdrenched - Feb 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I’m a Royals fan that is too young to remember 1985. Come to think of it, Crappy, weird, and meanlingless does some up 90% of the Royals baseball I DO remember.

I mean, I’ve attended a game where the Royals batted out of order. A regular season game.

• gloccamorra - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Too much grit will wear out your wheel bearings. That may be why the D’Backs’ wheels came off last July.

9. Ducky Medwick - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Don’t discount the cold weather we’ve had out here in AZ. Hi temps dipped into the 50’s this week.
    (Hides under desk)
    Only gonna be mid 70’s this weekend.
    (Runs for his life)

10. unclemosesgreen - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Having a hard time feeling the pitchers and catchers love here in my snowdrift. I mean house.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Stop complaining. We were in Shimabara, Japan a few years ago and visited a neighborhood on the west side of town that had been partially buried in a lava flow about ten years earlier. The masonry and tile houses that didn’t catch fire were submerged up to their first floor windows in the lava, and their owners had merely carved away the lava by their front or back doors, or both, into flights of steps and gone right back to using their houses as soon as the stuff had cooled enough to allow them to. Pretty amazing.

And I didn’t here any of them whining about it.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM

But I’ve never even been to Shimbuktu. And I like whining. Waaahhhh

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM

…hear any of them wining. I’m not going to beg for an edit function anymore. I’m just going to pray for Nicole Mitchell to take NBC to the cleaners…..

11. rbj1 - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Another nine inches of snow yesterday, I’ve run out of room to put it. Pitchers and catchers can’t come soon enough.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Well then leave it outside, for Buddha’s sake.

• gloccamorra - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM

My sister puts hers in a pot on the stove. It makes great water.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3486)