Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Also on Hot Stove with Freeman signed long term, heard #Braves want to try to do pre-arb extended deals with Simmons/Teheran
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) February 6, 2014
Seems smart for a team that isn’t going to be a big free agent player and — if you believe them — will be able to spend more on salaries once they move into the new ballpark. It’s also interesting to note that all of these moves to lock up a young core come after they hired John Hart as a consultant a couple months back. Locking up the young guys like this was his m.o. in Cleveland in the 90s.
At any rate, deals for these young guys are a smart move. Basically, everyone except Craig Kimbrel is worth at least a look for this sort of thing. Not sure I’d go long with a closer given the track record, lest you wind up with a Jonathan Papelbon contract. But otherwise: go for it, guys.
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 0
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 33
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23