Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Also on Hot Stove with Freeman signed long term, heard #Braves want to try to do pre-arb extended deals with Simmons/Teheran
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) February 6, 2014
Seems smart for a team that isn’t going to be a big free agent player and — if you believe them — will be able to spend more on salaries once they move into the new ballpark. It’s also interesting to note that all of these moves to lock up a young core come after they hired John Hart as a consultant a couple months back. Locking up the young guys like this was his m.o. in Cleveland in the 90s.
At any rate, deals for these young guys are a smart move. Basically, everyone except Craig Kimbrel is worth at least a look for this sort of thing. Not sure I’d go long with a closer given the track record, lest you wind up with a Jonathan Papelbon contract. But otherwise: go for it, guys.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)