Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Also on Hot Stove with Freeman signed long term, heard #Braves want to try to do pre-arb extended deals with Simmons/Teheran
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) February 6, 2014
Seems smart for a team that isn’t going to be a big free agent player and — if you believe them — will be able to spend more on salaries once they move into the new ballpark. It’s also interesting to note that all of these moves to lock up a young core come after they hired John Hart as a consultant a couple months back. Locking up the young guys like this was his m.o. in Cleveland in the 90s.
At any rate, deals for these young guys are a smart move. Basically, everyone except Craig Kimbrel is worth at least a look for this sort of thing. Not sure I’d go long with a closer given the track record, lest you wind up with a Jonathan Papelbon contract. But otherwise: go for it, guys.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 154
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39