Feb 6, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
We have heard the Mariners connected to Cruz for most of the offseason, so this isn’t a big surprise. A match has almost seemed inevitable at times. While the Mariners could certainly use his right-handed power bat for the middle of their lineup, his market has been slow to develop this winter for a number of reasons. In addition to him being attached to draft pick compensation, there are concerns about his age, defense, and injury history, as well as how he’ll perform following his PED suspension.
The Mariners have already added Robinson Cano, Corey Hart, and Logan Morrison this offseason. Bringing in Rodney and Cruz wouldn’t guarantee them anything, but it would sure make them more interesting. And heck, after giving a barrel of money to Cano, they might as well go for it.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)