Feb 6, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
We have heard the Mariners connected to Cruz for most of the offseason, so this isn’t a big surprise. A match has almost seemed inevitable at times. While the Mariners could certainly use his right-handed power bat for the middle of their lineup, his market has been slow to develop this winter for a number of reasons. In addition to him being attached to draft pick compensation, there are concerns about his age, defense, and injury history, as well as how he’ll perform following his PED suspension.
The Mariners have already added Robinson Cano, Corey Hart, and Logan Morrison this offseason. Bringing in Rodney and Cruz wouldn’t guarantee them anything, but it would sure make them more interesting. And heck, after giving a barrel of money to Cano, they might as well go for it.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 7
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)