The Marlins sign Carlos Marmol

Feb 6, 2014, 5:02 PM EST

Carlos Marmol AP

ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Miami Marlins have signed Carlos Marmol to a one-year, $1.25 million deal.

Not bad at that price, even though I wouldn’t put too much trust in the guy. I certainly would have a hard time bringing him into a jam given his walk rate, which is easily the worst in baseball.

Still, a live arm I guess. If the fish can fix him they’ll have a bargain on their hands. If not, well, I guess they aren’t out too much scratch.

1. blues1988 - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

marlins, lol.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Who said that the Marlins were cheap?

• cackalackyank - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Well, I think this story pretty much does that, for starters.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I think that he is probably worth the ML minimum.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I agree, but is it reasonable to expect him to pay the Feesh that much to play for them?

3. kingkershaw - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I think Carlos Marmol is worth a roster spot on any team, he is not a closer but his stuff is so overpowering he can contribute to a major league team in situations of lesser pressure.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Heh – they were arguing the same thing for the Feesh’s acquisition of Krazy Karlos season ‘fore last too. Of course, the trick is to throw your “overpowering stuff” so that you get the batter out.

Then again, by the middle of May I expect that all Feesh games will be low pressure situations.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Awesome news! Now the Brewers wont sign him! Thank you Marlins!

5. tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

“The locals are getting restless. Get some guys people have actually heard of!”
    “Right, get some current All Stars”
    “Errr….lets not go nuts….”
    “Gotcha. Some recent All Stars.”
    “Unnh….lower….”
    “Ok…some guys who made the All Star game at least once.”
    “Yeah, but they have to have something extra….like, maybe if they had a name that made everyone wonder if he was named after a cartoon cat.”
    “I know just the guy!”

6. indaburg - Feb 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM

As if it isn’t bad enough to be a Marlins fan. I am so sorry.

7. rodge1 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Decent price for a decent bullpen arm, he may even have a good year while trying to earn a bigger contract. Could be a win/win. Being a Marlin fan isn’t that bad, the Heat play 15 minutes away.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I don’t see how basketball makes anything better.

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM

The same was an aspirin makes a headache better, I should think.

8. rodge1 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Complaining doesn’t make anything better. True Miami fans love all of our teams win or lose, everyone one else hates.

• byjiminy - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM

guess I’m not a Miami fan

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM

That’s the biggest crock of coprolite against which I’ve ever stubbed my brain. “True” fans are knowledgeable, objective and discriminating as well as enthusiastic. You can “love the team” and still be well aware of all the cheapskate acquisitions and pennypinching personnel disasters your hamstrung front orifice is making. Unless he’s been down at the crossroads lately cutting deals with that red-skinned guy with the hooved feet, Marmol will do nothing but load the bases and set up late game disasters. If you “love” that, the only “true” you are is a true numbskull. The fact is, when your owner is Scrooge McLoria, nothing makes anything better, complaining notwithstanding.

• vivabear - Feb 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Poor Old Pederast; thinking anyone’s outlook that isn’t exactly like his is wrong.

9. elvin2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Good for Carlos Mármol!

10. elvin2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Carlos Mármol is a good pitcher….

• Old Gator - Feb 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

…of Koolaid, maybe.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 6, 2014 at 11:19 PM

There’s worse pitchers. Not many, but there are worse.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6001)