Bronson Arroyo going to either the Dbacks or the Dodgers

Feb 7, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT

Every day for two weeks I’ve thought “today is the slowest baseball news day ever.” Then the next day is slower. I spent a great deal of the early afternoon reading people’s snarky tweets about the Olympics opening ceremonies so that I would be prepared for my own snarky tweets for the Olympics opening ceremonies tonight. That’s how bad it is.

But maybe we’ll get a major signing today. I doubt it, but maybe:

If I was Arroyo I’d go out to the NL West too. Seems like a way better place for him to be than, say, Baltimore or wherever. Either way: sign, dude. We’re all bored here. I’m about to change this joint to HardLugeTalk.

1. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Sounds pretty Solomonic – just split him down the middle and each side gets a half. Of course, one side is gonna have to learn to pitch….

• proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

That made sense; however it appears that he has signed with Arizona. Not sure if he has enough GRIT for that team; however, it is a job.

2. tfbuckfutter - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

The Dodgers should wait for the Red Sox to sign him to a bad contract.

Then they can get him for just the cost of the bad contract and some prospects.

• ilovegspot - Feb 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Those players brough the Dodgers and $8 billion tv deal and 3.7 million in attendance.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM

You know what it bought the Red Sox?

A championship.

• gloccamorra - Feb 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Nice consolation prize for the Sox, tf, because there’s no way Fenway can fit 3.7 million fans in 81 games, and no way NESN can pay them $8 billion. The championship is one line in the record books, but that $8 billion can buy multiple future championships, and maybe even sell those nearly a million empty seats in Dodger Stadium.

3. sethcohenplayedsomeball - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

To play some ball in So Cal I dream
    League minimum Loogy for any team
    Hit the drive thru at In-N-Out
    Civic Center for No Doubt
    Sorry ladies but I’m no star
    Get my batter then to the bar
    Undeniable sun surf and sand
    Happiest man in all the land

4. RonKarate - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM

He’d be a great innings eater at the back of the Dodgers rotation. The loaded bullpen would get some rest. Plus, to keep him away from the D-Bags would be fun. Swim in their pool. Overpay to stifle their rotation.

Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Arroyo, Haren, Beckett, Billingsley. Nice.

• hildezero - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM

“D-Bags”? XD The Smodgers wouldn’t interest Bronson Arroyo. Arroyo would wanna be an Ace and swim properly. lol

5. halladaysbicepts - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I will be very happy when Arroyo signs with a team, like Ubaldo, Santana, etc. I tire of seeing these continuing FA reports on Feb. 7th.

• RonKarate - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Good to see you back, ‘cepts. You only improve the site for me. Somebody with an opinion that ain’t afraid to debate.

• halladaysbicepts - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Thank you, sir.

• cackalackyank - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I kind of agree. For me, I’m not sure if it is ‘tiring’ or just dulled surprise that almost three weeks after Tanaka signed, 3 of the 4 so called frontline FA starters remain unsigned. Interesting that the two teams that had pitchers report already are the two likely to sign him. Really do not see any reason for LAD getting him except to keep away from AZ.

• gloccamorra - Feb 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Yeah, we need to get these guys out of the way so the home town teams can pump up enthusiasm for Spring Training and their competitive 0-0 records.

Maybe there should be a deadline with all the unsigned put into a lottery pool, where they have to play for the lottery winners for the major league minimum.

6. rockthered1286 - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I am going to laugh when the O’s miss out on Arroyo, Burnett, Yoon, Santana, and Jiminez (not that I WANT the latter 3, just naming all that they are “in talks with”) and end up doing absolutely nothing. Which I am honestly, fully convinced has been their plan all along. They’ve done this for years- make a half assed effort to get a player here simply for the sake of saying to the fans “welp…. we tried!” when it couldn’t be further from the truth. If you want to rely on your young talent and hope/expect major contributions from Gausman/Bundy/Rodriguez? Fine. But don’t treat us O’s fans like idiots as if we don’t see through the whole process. It’s a joke and it all starts at the top.

My ONLY optimism? Peter Angelos will be 85 this year. Worst case scenario I see 5 more years of penny pinching and failure in both FA and drafting/player development(see Hobgood, Matt for a prime example). At that point we’ll either see the team handed down to a family member who we can only hope has better aspirations for this organization, or (fingers crossed) the team gets sold off to a person/group who is interested in what’s best for the team, city, fans, etc. And as much as I hate to say this… that will be the biggest day in Baltimore baseball history in 20+ years… wait, aside from the whole 2131 ordeal. But you get my point.

• gloccamorra - Feb 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM

You missed on one point, your worst case. The good, they die young; the bad, they hang around much longer; the stinkers, they seem to live forever.

7. proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I found the opening ceremony very boring.

Will someone please sign these remaining free agents. How about 1 signing a day just to give us something concrete to discuss each day.

8. drewy44 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

As a Dodgers fan living in Reds land, I’m hoping the D-backs get Prince Valiant. One, because I’ve seen Arroyo get shelled with his soft-toss stuff and two, the music scene might be a distraction.

The Dodgers rotation is fine without him (assuming Beckett and Billingsley is healthy). The Snakes could use a break.

9. leylandshospicenurse - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Burnett must really want to play on the East Coast

10. uyf1950 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Take it to the bank the Diamondbacks will sign Arroyo. The Dodgers lose out on Tanaka and now Arroyo not that the Dodgers really needed to sign either one they have a darn good group anyway.

All the trade deadline news to know