Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal with an option for a third. Buster Olney has the financials: $9.5 million in 2014, $9.5 million in 2015 and a team option for 2016 for $11 million with a $4.5 million buyout. That guarantees him, then, two years and $23.5 million.
Arroyo is not sexy, but he’s the model of consistency. In four of the last five seasons, he’s finished with ERAs between 3.74 and 3.88 and with a strikeout total in the 120s. He’s also started at least 32 games in nine straight seasons. In 2013 he went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio in 202 innings. He’s moving to a hitters park in Arizona, but he was in a hitters park in Cincinnati. His road parks in the NL West will be a lot friendlier to him.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 14
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 12
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 33
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)