Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal with an option for a third. Buster Olney has the financials: $9.5 million in 2014, $9.5 million in 2015 and a team option for 2016 for $11 million with a $4.5 million buyout. That guarantees him, then, two years and $23.5 million.
Arroyo is not sexy, but he’s the model of consistency. In four of the last five seasons, he’s finished with ERAs between 3.74 and 3.88 and with a strikeout total in the 120s. He’s also started at least 32 games in nine straight seasons. In 2013 he went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio in 202 innings. He’s moving to a hitters park in Arizona, but he was in a hitters park in Cincinnati. His road parks in the NL West will be a lot friendlier to him.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)