Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal with an option for a third. Buster Olney has the financials: $9.5 million in 2014, $9.5 million in 2015 and a team option for 2016 for $11 million with a $4.5 million buyout. That guarantees him, then, two years and $23.5 million.
Arroyo is not sexy, but he’s the model of consistency. In four of the last five seasons, he’s finished with ERAs between 3.74 and 3.88 and with a strikeout total in the 120s. He’s also started at least 32 games in nine straight seasons. In 2013 he went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio in 202 innings. He’s moving to a hitters park in Arizona, but he was in a hitters park in Cincinnati. His road parks in the NL West will be a lot friendlier to him.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)