Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal with an option for a third. Buster Olney has the financials: $9.5 million in 2014, $9.5 million in 2015 and a team option for 2016 for $11 million with a $4.5 million buyout. That guarantees him, then, two years and $23.5 million.
Arroyo is not sexy, but he’s the model of consistency. In four of the last five seasons, he’s finished with ERAs between 3.74 and 3.88 and with a strikeout total in the 120s. He’s also started at least 32 games in nine straight seasons. In 2013 he went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio in 202 innings. He’s moving to a hitters park in Arizona, but he was in a hitters park in Cincinnati. His road parks in the NL West will be a lot friendlier to him.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)