Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal with an option for a third. Buster Olney has the financials: $9.5 million in 2014, $9.5 million in 2015 and a team option for 2016 for $11 million with a $4.5 million buyout. That guarantees him, then, two years and $23.5 million.
Arroyo is not sexy, but he’s the model of consistency. In four of the last five seasons, he’s finished with ERAs between 3.74 and 3.88 and with a strikeout total in the 120s. He’s also started at least 32 games in nine straight seasons. In 2013 he went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio in 202 innings. He’s moving to a hitters park in Arizona, but he was in a hitters park in Cincinnati. His road parks in the NL West will be a lot friendlier to him.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)