Don’t expect A.J. Burnett to sign with the Phillies

Feb 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

A.J. Burnett AP

Philadelphia has been mentioned as a potential landing spot for A.J. Burnett, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated pretty strongly that the Phillies won’t be signing the free agent right-hander.

Amaro naturally declined to comment specifically on Burnett, but told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:

I don’t suspect we’ll be doing anything. I think we’ve got what we’ve got. I suspect we’ll go into the season with what we’ve got–or at least spring training with what we’ve got. We’re always looking, always trolling. I know there are guys out there, but I don’t suspect us having anything major coming through.

Baltimore is looking more and more likely as Burnett’s destination.

1. cackalackyank - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Too young.

2. gabeguterres - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Why would anyone with any kind of injury history sign with Baltimore? It just seems like there’s now a risk of being back in the free agent pool a week after pitchers and catchers report.

3. rbj1 - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

AJ not old enough for Ruben?

4. mdpickles - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Did he really say, “trolling.”

• louhudson23 - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Trolling as in how it was used long before the internets….

• js20011041 - Feb 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Never heard of it. I wonder if it’s similar to trawling?

• jwbiii - Feb 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Close. Hook and line fishing from a slow moving boat. I’ve had good luck with striped bass/rockfish in Massachusetts and Virginia and with lake trout in the Midwest north to Ontario.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I’m not so sure about him going to Baltimore. He’s been retweeting Pirate fans asking him to come back constantly the past week. Not a single retweet by an Orioles fan. I know that’s hardly scientific, but it does seem a little telling.

• jwbiii - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Roch Kubatko agrees with you.

Told #Orioles still in on Arroyo, Jimenez and Yoon, but doesn't look good on Burnett. Not dead but feeling is he wants to pitch in NL.— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) February 7, 2014

6. pisano - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM

If he’s smart he’ll go back to the Pirates, that’s where he had the most success.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

“smart”? That is A. J. Burnett you are referring to! I prefer “enigma”.

7. flyinhighwithvick - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Amaro = Truth Teller

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM

In other news, Craig has filed lawsuit for Amaro’s unauthorized use of his trademark “always trolling”

9. leahariel - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I liked how Amaro said he is always “trolling”

• chadjones27 - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Beat me to it. Love that line.

10. louhudson23 - Feb 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Trolling has nothing to do with trolls,in reality….

11. rockthered1286 - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

ACTUALLY word has it around Baltimore that AJB has now come out and said he prefers to play in the NL in 2014. And last time I checked the Orioles are AL. So to update: Orioles miss on Arroyo and AJB, meaning they’ll either give up a first and bring on Santana or Jimenez, or do nothing at all.

I’d assume “doing nothing” would be on par for the uncle Pete program.

Three legends off to Cooperstown