Feb 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Philadelphia has been mentioned as a potential landing spot for A.J. Burnett, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated pretty strongly that the Phillies won’t be signing the free agent right-hander.
Amaro naturally declined to comment specifically on Burnett, but told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
I don’t suspect we’ll be doing anything. I think we’ve got what we’ve got. I suspect we’ll go into the season with what we’ve got–or at least spring training with what we’ve got. We’re always looking, always trolling. I know there are guys out there, but I don’t suspect us having anything major coming through.
Baltimore is looking more and more likely as Burnett’s destination.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)