Feb 7, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
In a column for the Denver Post yesterday, former Rockies outfielder Ryan Spilborghs announced that he has hung up the spikes, ending a seven-year career in the Majors. Spilborghs, now 34 years old, hadn’t played since 2011. He spent the 2012 season with the Triple-A affiliates for the Rangers (Round Rock Express) and Indians (Columbus Clippers). He played for the Saitana Seibu Lions in Japan in 2013 but his numbers were unimpressive.
Spilborghs retires with -0.3 WAR according to Baseball Reference, but he had a few decent years with the bat as a part-time outfielder for the Rockies. In 2007-08, he combined to post a .306/.384/.477 line in 575 plate appearances.
Spilborghs wrote in his column:
I’ve spent this entire offseason contemplating sacrifices and opportunity, weighing my individual desires and that of my family. What I’ve eventually landed on, and let me say it wasn’t an individual effort, was an agreement with my mind and my heart, that I am going to move on from playing baseball.
I’ve chronicled my adventures in Japan enough for people to know that it took a lot out of me and the pure enjoyment of playing the game. I don’t regret playing there –I loved it — but it really put a part of me into clear focus: being a parent.
In his latest venture, Spilborghs will join Colorado’s Root Sports as an analyst.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)