Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
After repeatedly trying to come back from multiple right shoulder and elbow injuries, flamethrower Joel Zumaya is calling it quits as Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports. Zumaya last pitched in 2010 with the Tigers. Since then, he has undergone elbow surgery three times and admirably attempted to work his way back each time. Ultimately, it was too much to ask.
Zumaya was fun to watch as he was one of the few relievers who could reliably hit 100 MPH. However, he suffered from control issues, walking 114 over 209 2/3 career innings of work. He had the potential to be one of baseball’s best relievers, but the baseball gods would not allow it.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)